A Conversation for Nikola Tesla

Red Alert!!!!!

Post 1

magus4jm

There is a wonderful base defense in the game Command and Conquer:Red Alert by Westwood Studios. It recurs in the sequeal, Red Alert 2. I can't believe it wasn't mentioned. It's a lightning bolt-shooting tower of metal rings that annihilates all who dare to oppose you. It's name is, of course, the Tesla Coil. Someone else here must have heard of it.

Red Alert!!!!!

Post 2

Norton II

I didn't mention it because
a) I've never played the game
b) Even if I had, the influence of Command and Conquer on Western Civilisation pales into insignificance next to AC power, radio, etc., so it wouldn't have gone in for reasons of space.

Red Alert!!!!!

Post 3

Norton II

Sorry if the above sounded snotty. It was a bad day.

Red Alert!!!!!

Post 4

magus4jm

It should have been because:
a)a lot of people have.
b)Is the same true of spelling?
c)Is a mention (maybe 1 or 2 sentences) that much space?
d)To be honest, I only knew of Tesla from the game, and, among people who have heard of him, I would guess this to be common, especially online. (It was a popular game, and Red Alert 2 is even more popular.)
e)Even if "d" is somewhat depressing, it remains true.

Red Alert!!!!!

Post 5

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

In that case, it's great that something as silly as a video game made you aware of a great inventor, which made you curious enough to come along and read a fantastic article about him. You've gained valuable information, thanks to the game.

However, since this is an article on Tesla himself, and as the game had absolutely no impact on his life, I don't see why it should be mentioned. This article is quite thorough enough.

It didn't take me long to sour on the Russians... their tanks are too slow, and they don't have those wonderful radar blinding things (can't recall what they're called), so my opponent always knew where to drop his nukes, and pretty much knew exactly what he was up against. Tesla coils are a poor trade.

Red Alert!!!!!

Post 6

Norton II

that's exactly what I though. When I wrote this I was working to a 5,00 word limit, so why include something that was totally irrelevant?

Red Alert!!!!!

Post 7

Etheriel

hmmm it's quite depressing that i've only heard of this amazing man because of some computer game, although it did intrest me in the article (anti radar thingy is GAP generator - o dear i live a sad life :/) . after reading this i really don't like edison, so from now on i will not be using light bulbs.....DOH!

Red Alert!!!!!

Post 8

furtim - Zaphodista Sympathiser

Sad to admit, I first heard of Tesla by Red Alert, as well. However, I took the time to learn the real story (and a fair number of the fake ones) about Tesla, and have been glad for it. In fact, I'm now in college studying Electrical Engineering, and it's mostly because of the example of Tesla!

Red Alert!!!!!

Post 9

Norton II

i'm glad to hear it! however, i hope that, unlike nikola, you are fortunate enough to finish your degree!

Red Alert!!!!!

Post 10

furtim - Zaphodista Sympathiser

I hope so, too. =)

I also hope I don't go crazy when I get older, though my current sanity is rather in doubt. smiley - winkeye

Red Alert!!!!!

Post 11

Lazy Rog

I too first heard of the TC from red alert. there is a company on ebay that sells them for arround $500 and more than a few groups that give out instructions on how to build them.

My girlfriend says she'll buy me one for Xmas, I'm not sure how legal they are in the UK though, what with the spark gap creating radio waves. any ideas?

Key: Complain about this post