A Conversation for Earth

Length of Earth day

Post 21

shagbark

back on Febvruary 2nd people asked some meteorologists if they agreed with the groundhog and at least two of them said spring starts on March 21st. I don't know where the march first date came from.

Length of Earth day

Post 22

Cefpret

Just enter "meteorological spring" in Google.

Length of Earth day

Post 23

shagbark

one site doing that said "Meteorogical spring" is based on Average temperatures. If so places like Atlanta GA should get a meteorological spring long before places like Chicago or Toronto.
The site went on to say that spring to a meteorologist included the months March April and May. This might make sence to a meteorologist in the National Hurricane center at Miami but meteorologists in Michigan or Punsatonay PA probably wouldn't agree that spring there was March April and May.

Length of Earth day

Post 24

Cefpret

I don't think that it's about "spring as you feel it", it's just another convention. The meteorological spring starts on March 1st, that's all about it. However, for me the meteorological seasons are slightly closer to "as I feel them" than the astronomical ones. Your milage may vary.

Length of Earth day

Post 25

eric69

I would like someone to explain how and when someone decided there is roughly 24-hrs in a day? Surely, stopwatches didn't exist thousands of years ago. Also, is it possible that maybe current timekeeping methods could be affected by Global Warming? smiley - erm

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more