A Conversation for Strasbourg, France and Kehl, Germany

A477515- Strasbourg & Kehl

Post 1

Inkwash

After two posts recommending other people's sites, finally one of my own.
http://www.h2g2.com/A477515 is a lovely little number I cooked up, as I love contributing to the travel section.

Post 2

Inkwash

By the way, are these posts invisible to scouts too if they drop off the conversation list?

Post 3

Inkwash

?smiley - erm?

Post 4

shrinkwrapped

Well, I can see them! smiley - ok

Great stuff - the pictures are good (if you took them yourself, which it looks like you did, they can probably be kept in).

I was originally going to suggest that you split it into two entries, one for each town, but after another reading I think they complement each other nicely.

Perhaps you could rename it "Strasbourg & Kehl - The 'Crossroads' of Europe" or somesuch, I don't know, I just think it sounds a bit better and is slightly less confusing, to my (admittedly rather twisted) mind.

Final suggestion: would you consider a caption/"ALT" text for both photo's? You've got a caption for the European Council, and I know the top one's in context of a paragraph, but it might be nice to know precicely what it is (even if the caption's "A Typical Street In Stratsbourg"!).

Post 5

Inkwash

With regards the title I figured they'd need the country after them, but actually "Crossroads of Europe" is a pretty good idea!
Putting captions or ALTs on the pictures is no problem, although I was wondering. They're hosted on Angelfire, who provide my personal webpage. Is there any way they can be hosted here instead? Oh and yeah, I took 'em, scanned 'em myself.

Oh, one other thing. I've got an addition to make for it. Shouldn't be any probs with it I just thought I'd let you know. I was thinking of listing exactly which European institutions are there (there's only three) and there's a little confusion that needs to be cleared up regarding the Council of Europe.

Post 6

shrinkwrapped

Whatever you think! I'm sure h2g2 would take the pics onto their own webspace.

Don't be too surprised if the pics aren't included in an edited version, however, as I've not seen it much (including user pics) in the Guide yet. Maybe you could start a new trend?

Post 7

shrinkwrapped

I've just noticed another thing. You start by saying "Strasbourg is a major city on the Eastern edge of France, very close to Germany. By "major" I mean that Strasbourg has its own Préfecture, which in France is the indication that it is the principal city in that area.
"

Two things: there may be some stupid people (like me) who aren't quite sure what "Préfecture" means - could you include its explanation in a footnote, do you think? (tips on guideML at www.h2g2.com/GuideML-Clinic)

Also, Guide Entries should really be written in the third person, so would you consider changing "By 'major' I mean..." to something like "This means that...". negating the 'I'?

Oooh, my eyes hurt, I'm off to bed. smiley - online2long

Post 8

Inkwash

It did used to read "by 'major' it is meant that..."
I figured one little bit of first person would be ok so I changed it back, but perhaps you're right.

I was also trying to work on footnotes for Préfecture. Thing is, mine is written in HTML not GuideML, and I still haven't found any clues on how to do footnotes in HTML yet. Or rather, I did figure it out, but when I came to try and load it the computer let me down and decided to crash. I haven't tried since.

I'll have another go.

Post 9

shrinkwrapped

Hmm, I really would reccomend doing it in GuideML, as it's terribly simple (easier than HTML) and it's what the article would be translated into for the Edited Guide anyway.

Crashing, eh? My Browser keeps being crashed by h2g2 - it used to do that a while ago. I might need to delete all my temporary internet files.

Post 10

Inkwash

I've tried turning it into GuideML but I got all confused smiley - erm !
It said that my BR tags should be empty (???) and I couldn't work out how picture files should be displayed, even from the help given at the Clinic. It doesn't say where/how the image source should be quoted.

I'm so used to HTML that I found it a lot easier to stick to that.

Also, I finally figured out how to do the references. smiley - smiley

Post 11

Pandorina

That´s a good article, inkwash. Liked it a lot.
But one question: What do you mean by " in the shape of a Pfenning". I know Kehl because I´m coming from a town not far away from it, but I don´t know the roundabout and I´m not able to figure out what you mean. Perhaps Pfenning is an english word I don´t know, or perhaps you meant a german one.

Pandorina

Post 12

Inkwash

Oh right. Yes, perhaps that does need a footnote too. A Pfennig is a German penny.

Post 13

Gnomon - time to move on

The title should be Strasbourg, France and Kehl, Germany.

Pfenning should be spelled Pfennig.

You can change your HTML to GUIDEML failry easily, since HTML tags work in GUIDEML too. THe catch is that tags need to be closed in GuideML. You can't have on its own. You must either put and or you can close the tag within itself: . This means all your tags should end with /> and so should your tags. Other than that, all you have to do is put at the top and at the bottom.

When you've got that working, you can start experimenting with tags, tags and so on.

Post 14

Gnomon - time to move on

Posts don't disappear off the the end of the conversation. They remain forever, or until the editors delete them. You can see every post that has been made to the Peer Review forum since it started in August.

A477515- Strasbourg & Kehl, GuideML

Post 15

Inkwash

I've got at the top, and at the bottom and it's still showing all the tags in the final version. Plus I'm getting all kinds of big red "Attribute value must be quoted" messages which are confusing me...
...I'm quite easily confused.
The tags are also showing up on the final version.

smiley - sadface

Post 16

Inkwash

No, sorry everyone, my mistake.
I'm just very stupid.

Got it now, although I still can't shrink my images to viewable size in GuideML. My attribute tags aren't working there.
Any clues? smiley - smiley

Post 17

Inkwash

The image problem is sorted.
Everything is sorted. smiley - smiley

The article is ready to roll and I have dubbed myself king of GuideML! smiley - biggrin

Post 18

Inkwash

After the sucess of two articles I found and re-vamped, I thought I'd try to revive a little interest in one of my very own entries, namely this one.

Anyone who thinks it needs more info, less jabbering, better English, better GuideML or whateevr, feed me your thoughts. smiley - smiley

Post 19

Inkwash

No takers?

Post 20

Gnomon - time to move on

I like this entry and think it should be a part of the Edited Guide. Now all we have to do is attract the attention of someone with the "power to recommend". I think that's a Scout.

Key: Complain about this post