A Conversation for Talking Point: Netiquette

Tips

Post 1

Kaeori

1. If someone misunderstands you, don't assume it's their fault. Even if it is, be nice to them!smiley - hug

2. Previewing a message before posting saves lots of annoying typos.

3. Never click anything twice!smiley - online2long

smiley - coffee

Tips

Post 2

Is mise Duncan

Agreed.
Since the writen word has no tones and emphasis it is common for someone to "get the wrong end of the stick". Therefore if you are being sarcastic you have to point this out - because someone somewhere wont realise. That's why smiley - winkeye is a good smiley to use.

Tips

Post 3

NexusSeven

On a totally unrelated point, if you wants to display an email address on your space, then for heaven's sake *don't* use one that's got your name or workplace or anything similar in it!

Granted, you might need to be able to receive email from other researchers, or possibly from people who've read your stuff on h2g2 but don't want to have to become a researcher to comment on it. If this is the case, then setting up a free email account, such as a Hotmail account, with an anonymous id is a good move. Then put it on your space for all to see, and you are both contactable and anonymous.

Just bear in mind that most free email accounts have a maximum size of received mail, so for instance, those funny mpegs your mates might send you would be refused. Also, free accounts tend to 'time out' if underused, that is to say if the user neglects loggin into these accounts for a certain amunt of time, they will be suspended and eventually deleted.

Tips

Post 4

Is mise Duncan

Would you suggest I don't use my own name as my nickname then?

Tips

Post 5

You can call me TC

It's a bit late now. Unless your real name is something else, like Gemma Watkins.

Tips

Post 6

Kaeori

What a small world!smiley - smiley

I agree you must be *very* careful about giving out too many personal details. I made this mistake in my early days on the internet, and my naivity led to big, big problems.

DJ's advice about using smileys is v. important. h2g2's smileys can make a lot of difference to a message. Of course, they're no substitute for scintilating conversation.smiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - winkeye

smiley - coffee

Tips

Post 7

Is mise Duncan

Aha - but how do you know I am _the_ Duncan Jones?
I could be a virtual impersonator....or even a computer program.
(Although in the latter case I think I would have a better, more jazzy name...like "Duncan Jones Millennium Edition" or something smiley - winkeye)

Tips

Post 8

Kaeori

Yes, and I could be Kaeori Lite, bundled for free!smiley - winkeye

smiley - coffee

Tips

Post 9

NexusSeven

There's a whole other thread set up by Fragilis somewhere else ( I forget where) dealing with the problematic issue of anonymity on h2g2. IMHO, it's up to the individual as to just how much personal information is displayed, but I'll show you an example of what I mean about it being potentially dangerous.

One person I know on h2g2 (mentioning no names) has an email address on their space that is their work email address. Immediately, this opens up the possibilty of being fired from work for receiving dodgy emails, even if unsolicited. Plus, h2g2 has *no control* over who may choose to send things to this address, as non-researchers would be able to use it (I think - apologies if this is blatantly untrue). Also, it is straightforward to deduce the URL for this person's company from their email address. The company website details this person's exact job on the personnel page, and even has helpful maps on this company's exact location. Should a particularly disturbed individual take an unhealthy interest, then they've already been given a great deal of sensitive information straight off.

And, on a less serious note, spam is never pleasant.

Tips

Post 10

KWDave

Since I'm in the mail order business (inbound only, thank you!), I get quite a few customers who stop in the store while they are on vacation to say "hello", and it's mostly alright.

However, I have had a nasty scene with a disgruntled customer who actually drove the entire six hours just to cuss me out in person. That individual was offered a tour of our local pokey, and charges were filed.

Nuts are out there, email or not, and if they really have a bug up their knickers they will find a way.

The other experience was that customers will look up your home phone number and pester you there if a shipment doesn't show up on time.
As if I have any control over delivery services.

Just goes to show that it's not limited to email and company URL's.

Key: Complain about this post