A Conversation for Contributing to the Guide

Annoying as that hole in your sock that your toe keeps poking out of

Post 61

friendlywithteeth

and quite a freaky shift the other day: two boys came to my till with alcohol: so I asked for ID. He handed this sheaf of documents as ID including a criminal charge for ABH smiley - yikes

Post 62

Afrabian the scribe

I just bought a laptop from PC World. The salesman told me sod all about the machine but boy was he interested in selling me insurance for 5 years or so. He never once talked about the benefits of the laptop I bought against others. Fortunately I had researched and knew what I wanted at the price I wanted. I felt quite relieved to escape from all this pressure. But having been in sales for many years I could recognize the signs but for someone who wasn't so knowledgeable for sure they would have just bought the kit insurance for a quiet life. Rather reminds me of a pal who sells double glazing. His main job was first to get into the house and next to commandeer the owners chair in front of the telly. He reckoned once in place in that chair he'd have a contract signed in no time at all!! Okay fair do's we all have to get it done despite all the crap. It's amusing to read how others perceive the situation between customer and sales type. For me the worst is trying to make sense of internet dealings when you ask a plain question and get immersed in hopeless jargon in reply. I used to work in Baghdad when just about every day the city would be hit by Scuds from Iran not to mention full scale air raids. NOW THAT WAS INTERESTING!!!

Post 63

friendlywithteeth

Hi Researcher! I completely Agree smiley - smiley They can probably get some sort of commission from the sale of the insurance.

You might want to open your personal space [p.s.] so that people can learn a little about you: it needn't be a lot, and people can also leave you messages to say hi!

You can also change your name to something more personal by clicking on preferences and then changing your nickname.

If you want to chat some more, you can click on my name and leave me a message smiley - ok

FwT

Post 64

The Twig

Try Working For A Big Company Like Morrisons As I Do and Try Smiling All Day. Why Should We Smile If We Are:
1. Under Payed
2. Over Worked
3. Not Respected
4. Over Stressed
5. Under Staffed
ect
ect
ect
Just think about all the hard work we sales assistants put in just to keep you customers happy. And do we get a word of thanks? why should we smile all day just to keep you happy? Answer me that:
Regards The Twig

Post 65

Garthion of URAN

I heartily agree that customers do not take us checkout operatives seriously as they seem to think all we are there for is to register their goods, take the money, and PACK THEIR BAGS. this is all a load of nonsense as we also care for our customers, it is not our fault that we have to work unsociable hours or that we have to have breaks JUST when the after school rush is just starting. Please can someone tell me WHY DOES EVERYONE go shopping at 3:30 every day this is what makes checkout operatives unhappy. You Try Serving Hundreds Of Customers Every Day. You try being Diabetic and working for a store like SPAR where the longest break we get is 15 minutes. YOU TRY WORKING FROM 9AM till 5PM IN A SHOP see howyou feel towards cusomers by the second hour you will see how WE feel.

Post 66

friendlywithteeth

Only 15 minutes? For eight hours? I'd do some research into whether you are entitled to more, because I'm almost definitely sure that you are...

Post 67

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

I read that as being the longest single break in the period; there may be several of them... smiley - erm

Post 68

friendlywithteeth

it all depends on how many there are I suppose...

Post 69

Researcher 221049

..Actually, I had a pare of underpants just like that. It's quite annoying trying to keep track of your "equipment" even when there's no open escape route.

Post 70

yoda69dude

Hi All,I sort of agree and disagree on all of your reponds but as I don't work for anyone,(have owned my own buss.)but my wife does,she's A manager of a store outlet.They sell everything you can think of in there and everything in there doesn't cost over a dollar.Yes, nothing does but when she get's home,(works from 10-14 hours a day 6 days a week,man I won't tell you all the bull I get from her. : )LOL

Post 71

Researcher 222518

i know how you all feel- i am currently doing a course on customer care. Not because i need to of course. but doing it makes me really concious of staff that are not doing their job properly. i have the name of a lecturer who is available for private lessons to teach staff how to smile!

Post 72

Pete

I know this conversation is rather old looking at the dates, but I had to reply. Any one who complains about how shop assistance are so dim and have no manors obviously have never work in a shop. Firstly you try giving a happy greeting for the 10000 that day. I read in one of these posts that a smile would not help break the ice, but you try smiling that many times in one day. Added to this is the very poor training that the majority of shop workers have. It is terrible. Often they are just told to get on with a job with out the most basic of training. It is difficult to answer people’s questions simply because we have not been told anything. Often the customers know more than the staff, as they may have research the subject. For example I have been asked: “Your know that phone in the catalogue, is it cordless?” Now at this point I might explain that the catalogues contains well over 100000 products with over 40 different types of phone. How am I supposed to know weather the phone they are talking about is cordless or not? The way I find out is to look it up in the catalogue and read it to them. Customers can be stupid as well you know. I would like to give another example of how shop employees are treated. I had this lady come in who had a very snobby attitude. She was complaining about how long she was waiting etc. while talking to her the subject that I go to university cropped up. Her attitude completely changes towards me. I could tell I went from a second class citizen to a well educated human being. It’s the perception people have of shop assistants. I have never worked fall time in a shop just part time, and I know from that how bad shop workers get treated and how bad the job it. So next time you talk to a shop assistant have a little respect treat them like a person. Just imagine you had a really shit day and you know it has not finished yet. That’s how a shop assistant feels when they are supposed to be courteous.

Peter

Post 73

Garthion of URAN

I actually get Two fifteen minute breaks in an Eight hour shift, but only one in a six hour shift of an evening. I must appologise for the language that I used in the message but I was a little worked up when I wrote it. Thanks Garthionsmiley - biggrin

Post 74

Synthetic Jesso (I'm not real)

"and when handing them their money, they put it on the counter. "

YES! I HATE that! It's so annoying! The worst is when they set it *on* the register. Or when I am holding out my hand to take the money, and they *still* set it on the counter!

Post 75

Barb

I believe that ALL "Customer Service" and "Front Desk Reception" employees should have excellent communication skills. If you do not like dealing with the public, then you do not belong in this field. This is America. You have choices. If you are articulate, courteous and friendly and love your job you will make an excellent employee. If you are miserable for any reason, this is not the job for you.

I believe that every one has there own little nitch in life. If you are not there...keep looking. The most important thing in life is your health. If you are too stressed for too long at your job, you will become ill. The next important thing in life is your happiness. That's where you job comes into play. If you work 8 hours a day, you are spending more time in the workplace than at home and/or social life. If you are not happy here, you are too stressed.

I have worked in various types of jobs in my life, and I have found that the best ones for ME were where I made less money and enjoyed the work and my co-workers. It doesn't matter what you do in life, as long as it makes you happy.

Post 76

Pete

Hi Barb

Excuse me! Firstly this is not America, this is England! Well at least it is where I am sitting. Secondly, I am sure most shop workers are not doing there job because they enjoy it. Many do it because it’s the only employment they can get, which is better than factory or cleaning work. It’s not exactly a matter of choice; I wish life was that easy! I rather fancy becoming a managing director of Microsoft, it don’t mean it will happen!

Fortunately I am only working in a shop (part time) to help support my way through university. I have learnt more from my job than my studies, in particular how much I don’t want to work in a shop for the rest of my life! Unfortunately many people have not got the opportunity to go on and do other things, and follow their dream job. They need to pay the bills etc, and for those people shop work is the best they may get.

You say that you have choices in American, but I am guessing that many people don’t! Your society is not that great! No society on earth is!

I slight disagree, with your other statement. I think the most important thing life is not your health, but your happeness or love. I rather die a happy and loved man than a healthy (contradiction, I know) and miserable one!

Kind Regards

Peter

Key: Complain about this post