This is the Message Centre for You can call me TC

Berlin

Post 1

You can call me TC

Am off to Berlin next week. Son No 3 has been there now for over 10 years and I am ashamed to say that we have not once visited him there. Either we didn't have the time, were still at work for much of it. Or he was off on holiday or studying abroad or taking a Sabbath semester off in Mexico.

Now we're retired and can go any time. But it's still been difficult to pin him down and we don't know if we'll get much time with him during this visit.

We have contacted some friends and arranged to meet them, and booked a slot to visit the Pergamon museum (last visited over 40 years ago). We have even diligently consulted our little library of guide books to plan a couple of walking tours.

By coincidence, I realised that we shall be there on 3 October so we shall even risk the crowds and take in some of the celebrations for the National Holiday at the Brandenburg Gate or at the Reichstag.

The journey takes over 6 hours by train but we have treated ourselves to a very up market hotel so that we can relax while we're there. After all, we haven't really had a holiday for over 4 years. And "you can't take it with you".

Berlin

Post 2

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Good luck. I'd rather take a train than a plane or a car. We only have one good rail corridor here, the Acela line that runs between Boston and Washington. D.C. I took it to an ALA convention in 2007

Berlin

Post 3

Bald Bloke

Sounds like it should be a good trip.

Berlin

Post 4

Recumbentman

Enjoy Berlin! Nice Musical Instrument Museum at Tiergartenstraße 1

Berlin

Post 5

Recumbentman

Tiergartenstrasse 1, natch.

Berlin

Post 6

You can call me TC

So many museums! I'll try and fit that one in though as we're staying near the Tiergarten.

The "Big One" - th Pergamon Museum - is closing soon for a long period of renovation, so we're definitely going there. Last saw it over 40 years ago. I know that because it was before I had kids.

A whole week seemed so long when we booked, but it's already full up with plans.

Berlin

Post 7

Yelbakk

After your visit to Pergamon Museum, spend some time at one of the open air bars of James-Simon-Park, conveniently located right in the back of the museum.

Berlin

Post 8

You can call me TC

Yelbakk! I never thought I'd see you again!

I finally used that arrangement you did for me of Its a Wonderful Life. It was an impromptu choir of very mixed abilities thrown together at a weekend party for my second son's wedding. One rehearsal and performed at the traditional "Gang Show" variety evening on the Saturday night. It was recognisable and not half bad in the circumstances. Son No. 1 held the bass line together, son no.2 is a music teacher now and a strong tenor. Two ladies from his in-laws' side held the soprano line together. Such fun!

We have unfortunately arranged to visit a friend straight after seeing the museum, so probably won't be able to try your recommendation. I am putting together a plan and looking out some restaurants and cafes. Son No. 3 will, I hope, be able to show us a couple of venues. He tells us he has an exam on the 4th and will be revising for that most of the time, however. We are intrigued to find out what the exam is!

Any other tips you have will be most welcome, although our week's plan is filling up rapidly. The Guide Book I am using is from 2018 and even then, some of the restaurants mentioned in that have since closed.

It is looking like we will only have time for the absolute basics of sightseeing in the time available, which means we won't be able to do much "off the beaten track".

I have gone on long enough for one post and will start a new thread in "Ask" on the Atlas Obscura, which is very odd with regard to Berlin.

Berlin

Post 9

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Hello TC,

Enjoy your stay in Berlin. Haven't been there myself yet, so I will not put any more strain on your schedule. Just making notes in case I do ever go there.

Somehow I get the idea that the number of hootoo-ers singing in choirs is way above average. (We had a conductor/director auditioning for our choir last night, after the last one stopped on rather short notice just before the summer holidays. It looks like we have now found very an even better one).

Berlin

Post 10

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I was in Berlin in 1970, but I'm sure a lot has changed. The Wall is gone, for instance. The Kaiser Wilhem Memorial Church is probaby still not in good shape. smiley - winkeye

Berlin

Post 11

You can call me TC

Actually, the Musical instruments museum is at Ben-Gurion-Strasse 2. Right behind the Philharmonie. We went there on your recommendation.

Anyway, more later. Must pack and check out of hotel now.

Berlin

Post 12

Recumbentman

Not Tiergartenstrasse? Their website is out of date!

Berlin

Post 13

Recumbentman

One strong bass and one reliable tenor is enough for any choir!

Berlin

Post 14

Unless you have multiple bass / tenor lines of course (or if the strong bass/reliable tenor is the same person)

Berlin

Post 15

Recumbentman

That would be asking a lot...

Berlin

Post 16

You can call me TC

I've figured it out. The Institute is in Tiergartenstrasse.

Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz
Staatliches Institut für Musikforschung
Tiergartenstraße 1

But the museum really is in Ben Gurion Strasse. There's a street sign just outside.

Berlin

Post 17

Ben Gurion will probably be turning in his grave the last few days...

Key: Complain about this post