This is the Message Centre for You can call me TC

Aah - the eighties - Cosmopolitan - April 1981

Post 1

You can call me TC

Actually, I don't remember much of the eighties, I was so ensconced in childcare for most of it. Which I think turned out quite well, at least, my 3 boys seem to think so.

But before the first one was born in January 1982, which means he will be 40 next year - Gaaaaah! - I did have a subscription to Cosmopolitan, so I'll be jotting down a few more gleanings from those old magazines before I chuck them out. (They're glossy, so we can't even put them on the fire)

Cosmopolitan - April 1981 - 40 years ago!

The new records include works by Phil Collins and Emmylou Harris. The new films being reviewed have mostly disappeared into obscurity, except for Chariots of Fire ("A good story well told")

The meatier articles, all based on the feminist philosophy of the magazine (was it the "2nd wave" in those days?) read as follows:

smiley - biro Men are now looking for domesticated women to be their wives. They are practically in the same situation as women were before the Pill. Does modern woman really want a man who expects the pipe-and-slippers treatment?

Side note: I do think men have finally moved on. At least my 3 boys are full-on Dads, cooks, bottlewashers and partners. Their wives/girlfriends wouldn't have it any other way!

smiley - biro Irish women were polled re their take on abortion and although about 1 in 10 had had an abortion (presumably mainly in England for those who could afford it), not even the politicians among them would be prepared to stand up for women's rights to abortion. So we have definitely moved on from there, Ireland having voted for abortion and having it legalised a couple of years ago.

smiley - biro In Ireland at the time, there was a limit on the import of condoms, so even contraception was obviously basically not approved of.

smiley - biro An article about Dolly Parton. She always was a great lass. I think she came up again in a few subsequent editions. Also Jerry Hall is featured, and how she keeps her amazing long blond hair looking so amazing.

smiley - biro Cosmo Man was still a "thing". If any men ever read it, it being a section of the magazine, they would find the following topics: "Men as sex objects", "Women to avoid", "Ways to skive", "Peacock Power" and "Would you use cosmetics?" Thank goodness the fashion for make-up didn't survive.

smiley - biro The film "Nine to Five" prompted a quiz and an advisory section on "How to assert yourself at work". That may still be relevant today, although the offices and workplaces that these sort of things are aimed at always seem quite remote from reality.

smiley - biro The Tampon Scare! Remember that?

smiley - biro Roger Moore is chosen for a profile story. Apparently, he still "had it" in those days - at nearly 50.

smiley - biro Patchwork families were becoming more evident, as divorces shot through the roof in the 70s. So people had children with other partners, stepchildren, and their exes' new partners brought other children into the equation. Even today this all seems to confuse people, although it is now quite the norm.

smiley - magicThe fiction was a story about a woman whose husband died in an accident and she discovers he had a mistress, meets her and they start a lesbian relationship. I remembered reading that story, but now, on re-reading, it did seem awfully contrived.

smiley - run One article, based on medical opinion at the time, says that jogging is not necessarily good for you. The age-old principle of sensible eating and reasonable exercise, it would seem, applied then as now. Mind you, in those days, I would go running, and the designated running paths through the woods were well maintained. They are still there, but the wooden exercise stations have collapsed into decay nowadays.

smiley - doctor Studies had proven that your mental health and general disposition could help you recover from illness or, indeed, could make you ill. Anecdotally, there was this chap who prescribed himself a load of Marx brothers videotapes and large doses of vitamin C and recovered from a condition which was hitherto considered incurable.

smiley - biro The concept of "Word Processors" and what difference they would make to the office worker was introduced. I remember talk of those where I used to work at the time. We did have state-of-the-art electric typewriters, but some of the girls were scared stiff that the machines that typed standard texts for you would soon be putting them out of a job.

smiley - handbag Fashion - again! The leg warmers! The glossy, glossy make up! And the sweatbands (including an item on how to make your own with feathers, like native Americans)

Post 2

Recumbentman

I remember Cosmo, and before it Nova magazine. The latter had a story that affected me, about a woman who had to give a talk to a girls' school and came through her self-doubts triumphantly. Was it called "The Woman Who Smiled"?

Post 3

You can call me TC

I wasn't aware that Cosmo didn't exist any more. I'll have a look into that.

Post 4

You can call me TC

As far as I can see, it is now only online. The Australian edition stopped its print version in 2018.

As most of the revenue came from advertising (the price of the 1981 magazine was 50p!) on line seems the best place for it.

Post 5

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Jogging has never been something for everyone. I have pronation in my feet. I was told by a sport doctor not to run, but walking is fine.

Post 6

Icy North

Amazing how Dolly Parton has stayed in the public eye for so long. Isn't she single-handledly ridding the New World of Covid these days?

Post 7

Dolly is amazing in terms of seven degrees of separation. She links to country music, as well as movie musicals and even straight drama such as "9 to 5."

She helped fund Covid research.

She's only 75, I keep thinking she's older, as she's been visible for so long.

Post 8

Recumbentman

About a decade ago when I heard Dolly going uncomplainingly through an interview with a radio presenter who obviously had a low opinion of her, I thought she actually was a saint.

Post 9

Not everyone understands that she is a fine songwriter. Can't a woman be respected for songwriting?

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for You can call me TC

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more