This is the Message Centre for You can call me TC

Hmmmm ... Polenta

Post 1

You can call me TC

Whilst planning my week's food, I thought I'd have a look at some of the recipes on the Guide. So I did something I don't think I've ever done - I clicked on "Life", and followed the links to the food department.

There is an entry on polenta A304219. I love polenta, and always have some in the pantry, but I can never work out the correct proportions of polenta to water to get the right consistency. Thinking that I would find the definitive, tried and tested version here - I was extremely disappointed.

I shall try out the various recipes I have over the next few weeks (please, don't expect me to feed my husband polenta every day just for H2G2's sake, nice as it is) and then amend the entry accordingly. There is a recipe in one of the threads attached, but I have several others, too, in magazines, books and on packets of the stuff, not to mention the ones found on the web, but the proportions vary between 250 g polenta to 1 litre of water and 500 g polenta to 1 litre of water.

So - watch this space. Or rather, watch the fish on the bike. And if anyone else wants to join me in some test cooking, I would be grateful. Also - let me know your favourite ways of serving it and what you serve it with (Only things you've actually eaten, please) I know how I like it, but am happy to include other recipes, even spicy ones. smiley - winkeye

Hmmmm ... Polenta

Post 2

You can call me TC

Ah, now this is what I get for going unfamiliar paths. Of course, clicking on "Life" will only take me to Edited Guide entries. There is a far better one, unedited, here: A703720

So I will merge the two.

Hmmmm ... Polenta

Post 3

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

There are some things I've always measured out with cups (or volumes), even before I moved here. Rice is one, and polenta is another. For the latter it's usually three parts water to one part grain (I don't remember how much Parmesan after that).

But, coincidentally, about a month ago we had a little party at work for the contractors who put the place together, and one of the things the caterers brought along was cheese grits, which is almost, but entirely, quite unlike polenta, and is delicious, and I tried to make some of my own from online recipes (including the almighty Alton Brown's), and of course, it wasn't anything like the one I had at work, so I too am experimenting with maize products and cheese smiley - biggrin

Hmmmm ... Polenta

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I've tried growing corn this year, but so far there are no ears.

Hmmmm ... Polenta

Post 5

KB

I've never had polenta. I probably should - it's the sort of thing I like - "thick" food. I'd probably lob butter into it, and maybe a drop of chilli sauce. smiley - drool

Hmmmm ... Polenta

Post 6

I've had it. Heck, I've even made it, but it didn't seem worth making again. When I was in a hotel in Atlanta, I enjoyed having grits for breakfast every morning. But when I got back home again, I never felt like making it for myself.

Hmmmm ... Polenta

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

Haven't tried polenta, but I always have similar problems getting the couscous to water ratio right.

Hmmmm ... Polenta

Post 8

I can buy prepared polenta in the store, but have never bothered.

Hmmmm ... Polenta

Post 9

You can call me TC

It's absolutely delicious, real comfort food - but then, you have to like semolina, and I've heard that there are those who don't like semolina.

Here in Southern Germany - particularly in Baden, which is just over the river from us, it is quite common to have a sweet main course. This can be in the form of polenta or semolina chunks, (first you boil up the grains, then spread them in a baking dish and bake or leave to harden. Just before eating you fry them, and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon). At this time of year, a heavy kind of cherry toad-in-the-hole or in the autumn a plum cake can also be a main course.

But polenta can be served with all sorts of savoury dishes and sauces or simply instead of potatoes with your normal meal.

Hmmmm ... Polenta

Post 10

Italian sausage is said to be a good accompanying dish. Or beef stew, or chicken cacciatore, osso bucco, etc.

Key: Complain about this post