A Conversation for Don't Panic

ADSL & Cable-modems

Post 1

ProzaQ the Chilled

How long are we, the consumers and 'life-blood' of the UK Telecommunications Industry, going to put up with the 'pay-per-view' Internet they are forcing upon us?

DON'T PANIC...

The technology IS there (ADSL & cable-modem) as is the 'next generation' which aims to bring the WWW (and other 'services') through your TV.

Cable-modems - The 'bottom line' about these is that they provide 'on demand' access to the Internet (24-hours a day if necessary), for a fixed (around 35 pounds-sterling) monthly fee that INCLUDES the 'cost of the call' (though only conceptually since it uses a slightly different means of connection), at speeds averaging between 256-512kps (5-10 times faster than the best regular modems currently have to offer)...

ADSL - similar to cable-modems but using a slightly different technology to achieve the same effect...

'WebTV' - Simply put, 'digital' TV systems are capable of connecting to your phone line. This means that The Box is now able to make the phone call needed to: order a film, view the WWW, 'interact' with other 'content'. Sadly, and un-advertised (though a sales-person will 'confess' if they know and are pushed), this call WILL incur phone charges...

Unfortunately:

1) BT (developers of ADSL) have recently withdrawn their plans to introduce ADSL to their client-base. Why? Well, it seems they are miffed at the prospect of not being able to keep it all to themselves (aww... shame). THE REGISTER, self-proclaimed "Biter of the hand that feeds IT", explains it best on: http://www.theregister.co.uk/990628-000007.html

2) The Cablecomms industry falls into two 'camps' - those 'for' and those 'against' the introduction of cable-modem technology. Those 'for' have been supplying 'trial' services in certain areas. Those 'against' have had the basic hardware capability for (at least) a year, yet have been getting so 'fat' from the call-charges made to, so called, 'free ISPs', that they are reluctant to adopt the system. There is also a rumour that the Cableco' 'majors' ('against') are to merge with others ('for') to form a 'united front' against the satelitte-based services and non-cable Teleco's... Whether this means that the technology and ethos of those 'for' will be taken on-board and implemented, or whether it means that a 'take-over' is underway to 'bury' this technology is, as yet, unknown...

3) 'WebTV' is just a continuation of the 'pay-per-view' feeding-frenzy being indulged by the industry. Not only are we being asked to pay for a licence to recieve programming AND individually for the things we watch, it also looks like we maybe being set up to have this 'content' delivered through our phone-lines too...

DON'T PANIC...

There IS something you can do to take part in the 'formation of the future' in regards to the question:

"Do I want a future in which the Internet is, if not free then at least sanely priced? Or am I content with paying by the minute each time I or my kids are online?"

In the UK - speak to your Teleco until they are prepared to introduce either ADSL (BT) or cable-modem services to your home. They "have the technology" - they are just reluctant to let you have it since you are (still) paying the phone charges without any complaint.

BT - 0800 800 150 (regarding ADSL and why it has been withdrawn)
Cable & Wireless - 0500 500 500 (regarding cable-modem and why they are holding back)
NTL - 0800 052 0800 (regarding cable-modem and when they can get services into your area)

Outside the UK - Speak to your Teleco... Visit websites, communicate your concern and choice to them via email, forms, forums, notice-boards and other given options.

We are the consumer. They RELY on us for their survival as we rely on them for service. We have the information. We have a choice...

ADSL & Cable-modems

Post 2

Bugbane (R/32945)

I'm a wee bit peeved to hear that BT are not going to offer ADSL. I recently posted a question on their web site asking about when it would be available only to get referred to their web site on the ADSL trial offered to some areas of London (not mine). My question was asking them if the rumour was true that they would be offering ADSL in October (rumour source: BT engineer trying to fix ISDN line).

BT, and those others avoiding this technology will be forced down the evil road eventually. The Internet is such a powerful commercial engine that it will only take one telco to offer it and the technology and freebie sensitive Internet users will move to them in droves!

After all, would your local shops expect you to pay to walk down your local high street and look in their window?. Sigh.

ADSL & Cable-modems

Post 3

Yoz

Don't worry... from what I hear, the Sunset Times has the wrong end of the stick as usual. All indications are that the rollout will happen in September as planned. (I'm very relieved, as I'm currently on the ADSL trial and I don't want them to take it away 'cos it's completely fab)

-- Yoz

ADSL & Cable-modems

Post 4

Bugbane (R/32945)

Yoz,

I hope you're right. I want to join you in your ADSL feather-bed (figuratively speaking, of course).

BugB

ADSL & Cable-modems

Post 5

Yoz

Latest news: Apparently ADSL is definitely happening, but the earliest it'll be rolled out will be November, and might not be properly available until March. Also, it's probably going to be pretty pricey (above 50 pounds a month)

-- Yoz

ADSL & Cable-modems

Post 6

eepy

Yes - I've heard that the price BT are going to charge ISPs will mean that the ISPs will have to charge about 200 ukp a month for a link.

Needless to say pricing like this will mean that I (and presumably other private users) will not be jumping on the ADSL bandwagon...

For anyone interested, though - freeserve (one of the first "free" ISPs in the UK) are going to start an ADSL trial between November and March. Their pricing hasn't been announced, but you can sign up for more information at http://www.freeserve.net/highspeedtrial/ADSL.htm

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more