A Conversation for Agnosticism

An uninformed person makes a slight noise

Post 21

Researcher 33337

Hmm, but I find tahts less true with the new/old religions. Wearing a pentagram doesn't make you pagan

Post 22

Martin Harper

Yes, but I don't think that wearing a pentagram is a mark of disrespect to the pagan.

Post 23

JAR (happy to be back, but where's Ping?)

*confused*

Do you say that wearing a cross is a mark of disrespect to the christians, granted the wearer is not christian?

Post 24

The Apathatic Mistress Amphetama (aka The girl who cared so much she eventually shut down)

I had a friend once who changed her religion at least every six months. What's remarkable about that is she had complete faith in that religion for those six months. Nothing could shake it until her fancy turned elsewhere, and she placed all her conviction in a new religion. I, being the completely religiously removed person I am, questioned how she could change her mind so quickly. Her response was that possibly it doesn't matter what you believe in. The importance was more in having SOMETHING to place faith in. I guess it's comforting to feel something greater than you is controling things for some people.

Post 25

Researcher 33337

Well, first, teh cross and pentogram thing. Its not the wearing taht bothers me. Its those who say "I'm a pagan" but have no Idea what that entails, tehy just think it makes tehm sound interesting.

The believe in something idea is very common but I feel it only works with certain personalitys (no offenc eto anyone) . I kenw someone who was deeply religious and often found me (kinda humanist sort of) very confusing. Reason being taht she needed to know that everything was part of some plan, or that tehre was someone looking out for her. To me, she seemed to just be looking for someone to take responsability. Which I also find a little worrying.

Post 26

Neugen Amoeba

I've too come accross people who change religions, although not as regularly as your friend. The answer I get is "...all religions lead to the same destination." ......whatever that may be..... although I suspect they refer to a "state of mind".

Post 27

Martin Harper

The state of mind being enlightenment/satori/whatever... tends to be somewhat incompatible with western monotheism, but not always.

Post 28

Neugen Amoeba

A radio program I was listening to the other day described how people (in the US at least) were moving away from "religious" movements into "spiritual" movements. They take different bits from different religions and form their own, I guess spiritual structure, that incorporates things like meditation, chanting, prayer, singing and drum beating, in a mixture suited to each individual. Not sure what part disipline plays in all this, and how enlightment (if that's their goal) is achieved through beating a drum, but (apart from some temporary deafness perhaps) it can't hurt trying?!?!?

Post 29

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Re the drum-beating, this is usually done in a group and is supposed to foster a sense of cooperative community. It is not the drumming itself necessarily, but the ability to work with others to create an impromptu artistic result that is considered important. It isn't much different from participating in a church choir, except perhaps that pretty much everyone feels comfortable drumming while many people aren't comfortable singing.

Post 30

Neugen Amoeba

//looks for ear plugs//

//starts drumming ......//

H E Y T H I S I S R E A L L Y F U N !!!!

Post 31

*plugs ears, grabs mic and tries to be heard over the drums*
.. and drumming has been known to stimulate the mind in some way or other. Been used by Sami shamans and french techno-artist to get people in the right mood for ages...

Post 32

Neugen Amoeba

I N T H E R I G H T M O O D F O R W H A T ?

//better take out ear plugs, hard to hear onself talk//

Post 33

Well. Uhm. You know. Different stuff... Shamans might want people to be more receiving to their divine inspirations (call it burning herbs with hallucinatory effects) DJ's might want people more open to sharing and loving and eating small friendly pills with butterflies printed on them...

Post 34

Researcher 33337

Drum beats, if ruthmic enough are also nice and relaxing in a sleepy, pulsey mesmerising way.

No one who's put up with a loud party next door will agree with this.

Post 35

Troman

for the Nov. 2nd post.

The Romans did not die out, the Empire became Christian before it fell, hence the name Roman Catholic.

Troman

Post 36

Researcher 33337

But that conversion led to the cesation of teh worshipping of teh roman gods, so teh roman god belief system died out. Also the roman empire colapsed after conversion to christianity so was it really such a good idea? (Thats a stupid comment, big empires always colapse, or deminish, its like holding aisa in risk)

Post 37

Troman

The Roman beliefs died out through lack of faith. Rome converted to Christianity before the fall and everyone went along with it. Some say a big reason they chose Christianity instead of Judaism is because they didn't like the idea of having their genetiles cut. I don't understand why that isn't a Christian requirement because the Old Testament also talks about Abraham's pact with God.

Post 38

Jerms - a Brief flicker and then gone again.

Response to post 25:
I too find it worrying whenever I meet anyone who seems to be looking for "...someone to take responsibility". The connotations are scary. And it happens far too often for my liking.

Post 39

Researcher 33337

Its a bit annoying, and i might add not indicative of all religious people, but I do know a good few who just want to abe able to say "My life stinks but its all part of gods plan" No, your life stinks because of an often unfortunate series of events, now you and wallow opr pick yourself up and go fix it.

To add a bit o' spice, the phrase "No one is an athiest in a foxhole" is really concieted. So, I'm about to die, and all of a sudden my doubt in god and dislike of any worship of anything will evapourate and I'll find God, no, I'll be desperately looking for a way to not die.

Post 40

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

A life doesn't have to be bad because of bad breaks. More often than not it's the result of bad choices. People just don't like to blame themselves.

I saw a quote recently that I liked very much. "'There are no atheists in foxholes' is more an indictment against foxholes than atheists."

Key: Complain about this post