A Conversation for Agnosticism

Error, I think

Post 1

R. Daneel Olivaw -- (User 201118) (Member FFFF, ARS, and DOS) ( -O- )

I've heard it said that agnostics actively think that one *can't* know whethere there is a God, not that they simply don't know.


Error, I think

Post 2

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

There are agnostics who believe that. And there are agnostics who think somebody else might possibly know; they just don't happen to be that person. I'm of the latter variety, personally.


Error, I think

Post 3

Bluto

Agnosticism has come to mean not to hold an opinion on the existence or otherwise of a God or Gods. The word was coined by T.H. Huxley and he meant it as the application of the following priciples - "Follow your reason as far as it will take you" and "do not pretend that onclusions are certain which are not demonstrable".

In othe words an agnostic would say when questioned about the existence of god - It is impossible to say on the evidence to hand.


Error, I think

Post 4

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

True, Bluto. True.

I would add that it is impossible to say on the evidence that *I* have on hand. For all I know, somebody else may have evidence they are unable or unwilling to communicate. I try not to assume otherwise. smiley - winkeye

Put three agnostics in a room, and you invariably get three different opinions on how agnosticism works! smiley - cheerup


Error, I think

Post 5

Whizz Kid

I think your clarification is a helpful one Fragilis the Melodical, as it firmly places the focus on personal experience. My own experience is that God talks to me daily, and he has mended my broken bones, and better still, mended more tricky stuff like loneliness and rejection. However, you would need to experience it for yourself in order to believe. Everything I read and know of Him suggests He is keen to prove his existence, so you can ask Him to do just that.


Error, I think

Post 6

R. Daneel Olivaw -- (User 201118) (Member FFFF, ARS, and DOS) ( -O- )

I've come to the conclusion that its pointless to try to define atheist and agnostic because everyone on the guide seems to have a different definition.

We pray for one last landing
On the globe that gave us birth;
Let us rest our eyes on the friendly skies
And the cool, green hills of Earth.

---Robert A. Heinlein


Error, I think

Post 7

R. Daneel Olivaw -- (User 201118) (Member FFFF, ARS, and DOS) ( -O- )

Wizz Kid, you should post something to your personal space so an ACE can greet you.


Error, I think

Post 8

Jerms - a Brief flicker and then gone again.

Whizz Kid, good on you.
I've asked for God to talk to me many times in my life, I've asked preachers, priests, rabbis, and clegymen to pray for God to talk to me, just to let me know He's there.
So far, all I get is static, or, on a good day, silence.
If God really was keen to prove his existence then I believe I would have heard about it by now.
I would love to have that evidence. Until and unless that day comes, then I'll stay agnostic.
In my experience, broken bones mend themselves. And I've learnt to heal my own lonliness and rejection. All I want now is to hear the voice of God.



"The last time I met God, she was black."


Key: Complain about this post