This is the Message Centre for broelan

Format

Post 1

broelan

I have always toyed with the idea of being a writer of somekind, in the past I've even gone to the extent of purchasing loads of paper, pens, recorders, tapes, journals, etc, to aid in researching projects that have never seen the light of day. Here lately, I have made a habit of following some different formats of written word, newspaper columns, articles, forums, editorials, and the like. On that front I've decided that I might like to try some sort of periodic column-type writing just to get excess thoughts off my mind to make room for more important stuff (like where to go for dinner tonight). Oddly enough, this journal thingy seems like it would fit the bill perfectly.

It has always been hard for me to share my works with others, just like it is hard for me to sing in the shower when I know someone else is home. While I think I have a fine singing voice for someone who is untrained, I would really not like to have someone telling me differently. Ergo, if something fires me up enough to write about it, obviously it follows that someone else would be moved to read it. I know that's not the way the world works, thus I have never to this point shared my work.

That work would include a childrens' book I wrote several years ago, a novel I've begun the first chapter of at least 20 times, essays and papers written in a variety of different styles, fact and fiction. I've even once written a song, but on revisiting several years after the fact it wasn't very good. Of course, music might have helped smiley - smiley

I used to write everything longhand, I liked it that way. Notebooks don't have a delete key, longhand stands the test of time. Of course, it also affords me the value of being able to look back to my works of ten or more years ago and wonder what I was thinking at the time. So inevitably I was dragged (kicking and screaming, I might add) into the digital age by my personal tormenter, Geoffrey.

Yes, Geoffrey, you're in here, and I know you will appreciate the current misspelling of your name. Let me know when it's official???

You will be hearing about Geoffrey from time to time I'm sure, as his life is so much more interesting and exciting than mine, thus better fodder for parody. In short, he will probably make good print. (This, Geoffrey, is my way of getting you back for that horrid photo of me on your webpage).

So check back from time to time to see if I have come up with any profound thoughts, let me know what you're thinking. If there's a subject you would like to discuss, leave me a message, we'll try to get it in. Thank's for stopping by smiley - smiley

Broelan

Format

Post 2

KWDave

It sounds from your writing that all you are waiting for is a good solid push over the edge. If you've written the first chapter of your novel 20 times, maybe you need to start with the third chapter and work back...

One solid rule for life: Dance like nobody's watching / Sing like you're getting paid (even in the shower).

You didn't mention Kurt Vonnegut or Mark Halprin in your personal list. "Breakfast of Champions" and "Winter's Tale" are in my permanent library for life. Carlos Castaneda also provided some interesting insights. Remember, you didn't mention them, so I'm working blind here.

Keep writing! Even a grocery list can get you started sometimes.

Format

Post 3

broelan

I didn't mention Vonnegut or Helprin because I have never read them. I've never even heard of Helprin. Nonetheless, I did go to Amazon, read some reviews, look up some titles, took the information to Half.com and found Winter's Tale for .75, and Breakfast of Champions for $4.99. Should have them in a week or two, but it may take me longer than that to get to them. I just started a John MacDonald today (never read him either). I'm a little backed up right now. I've got two Star Treks, a Lawrence Sanders, a John Grisham, Starship Titanic, and The Hobbit all in my desk drawer waiting for me. Actually I've already read the Titanic twice, but oddly enough, I've never read The Hobbit, or any other J.R.R.Tolkien for that matter. One of my mother's favorites.

I won't read all of that before I get to the two new ones, I'll probably get to them before Thanksgiving. I am also ordering DNA's Last Chance to See, which I've heard is very good on some of these forums.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Format

Post 4

KWDave

Trust me, we are absolutely full of them.

Enjoy!

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for broelan

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more