A Conversation for Millennium Dome

Flea Market: A414163 - Millenium dome

Post 1

hickory

A414163 I just ran across this article and liked it.
thought I'd pass the word.

Millenium dome A414163

Post 2

Global Village Idiot

http://www.h2g2.com/A414163
smiley - winkeye

Millenium dome A414163

Post 3

Global Village Idiot

Having read the article, it's hard to find anything in there with which to disagree. And there's much to be amused by. Thanks, hickory, for bringing it to our attention.

I would say that the main obstacle to Edited status for this article is its lack of balance. Perhaps, like torture, this isn't a subject on which balance is appropriate, and I think you'd have to go a long way to find any defenders of the white elephant's skull; but for controversial subjects The Towers have always encouraged objectivity.

The other point would be, this site will hopefully far outlive the dome...
smiley - winkeye
GVI

Millenium dome A414163

Post 4

Salamander the Mugwump

Hmm, this doesn't seem sufficiently well balanced, does it? There's no mention of ineptitude or corruption. Still, it's a good read. smiley - winkeye

Millenium dome A414163

Post 5

Martin Harper

I think there's more stuff that could be added now that even more incompetence and idiocy has occured. Plus the tense needs to be put in the past now.

Mention of the auction sale of the accumulated junk from the dome would be promising... ($5 for a few thousand "Been there, Dome that" T-shirts).

Nice stuff, what's there, but there should be more. I think it would be helped by giving it more structure - perhaps by putting it into chronological order. ("The concept", "The sponsorship", "The finished product", "the total failure", "the aftermath").

Not our finest hour... smiley - sadface

Conversation Moved

Post 6

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This Conversation has been moved to the new 'Flea Market' Forum.

This is where we move any Peer Review, Writing Workshop or Alternative Writing Workshop Conversations where the original author has *not* posted to h2g2 for three months. This prevents the active Review Forums from clogging up with dormant entries, but in the Flea Market they can be picked up by others and polished off.

The Millennium Dome

Post 7

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I'm taking this onsmiley - ok

A18148278

The Millennium Dome

Post 8

AlexAshman

There's a brief coverage of the Dome here (see number 2):

The Top Ten UK Publicly-Funded Fiascos - A18993577

The Millennium Dome

Post 9

Yepsmiley - ok (already posted there....)smiley - winkeye

The Millennium Dome

Post 10

Bluebottle

So how is this going, GB?

<BB<

The Millennium Dome

Post 11

It's not, I'm afraid. Take it on if you wishsmiley - ok

The Millennium Dome

Post 12

Bluebottle

If I can find the guide book I bought, I think I'd be quite tempted to. I went there with my then girlfriend, now wife.

<BB<

The Millennium Dome

Post 13

I've been there, for the Golden Age of the Pharaohs exhibition, with Titania (no relation)smiley - laugh

Did you know there's a god of the Millenium Dome? smiley - bigeyes

The Millennium Dome

Post 14

Bluebottle

No - tell me more!

<BB<

The Millennium Dome

Post 15

Tell you? How about I show you some photographic proof instead? A25159962 and F7844692?thread=5386846

The Millennium Dome

Post 16

h2g2 Guide Editors

This seems like it is worth pursuing smiley - smiley

The Millennium Dome

Post 17

Bluebottle

When I was putting the Christmas tree away I thought I'd sort through a couple of boxes, found a dozen books I can give to charity shops as well as my Millennium Dome guide book! So I could potentially use that as an aid to rescuing this article, although my memory of visiting the Dome itself is by nature a little rusty considering we went once over a dozen years ago...

But only if you have no objection, GB.

<BB<

The Millennium Dome

Post 18

Bluebottle

New version: A87782872 in Peer Review here: F48874?thread=8299522

<BB<

The Millennium Dome

Post 19

Great to hear this, <BB<

The Millennium Dome