A Conversation for H2G2 Astronomy Society Home Page

Meteor shower tonight

Post 1

RadoxTheGreen - Retired

Just a quick reminder to wrap yourself in a duvet and take a look outside. The Gemenids meteor shower is just starting (should peak about 2 hours from now). Don't forget to turn off the house lights and you'll need at least 20mins to get used to the low light levels - city dwellers might want to take a quick drive out into the countryside. Make cocoa, have fun. smiley - ok

Meteor shower tonight

Post 2

KB

The clouds are conspiring to make a decent show unlikely where I am. Earlier one I saw a great view of Jupiter, though.

Meteor shower tonight

Post 3

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

It was too cloudy & raining here. smiley - sadface The shower started last week, and the peak was last night, there were reports of fireballs and one large one on Friday which broke up as it fell.

Meteor shower tonight

Post 4

Metal Chicken

As usual, when celestial showtime approaches, the clouds rolled in. I could barely see to the end of the road never mind see any Geminids smiley - sadface

Meteor shower tonight

Post 5

Woodpigeon

Wipeout here too. Ah well. There still might be a few bright ones tomorrow night.

Meteor shower tonight

Post 6

A T Hun

Thanks for the reminder. Can't believe I forgot; weather just plain freezing around here.
smiley - snowman
Let me know how it turned out in your areas, weather permitting.
I'm curious and like the local man-on-the-street POV.

Meteor shower tonight

Post 7

still overcast here smiley - sadface it rained all night

Meteor shower tonight

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

Really clear here this morning (and cold!) Venus was stunningly bright.

Meteor shower tonight

Post 9

RadoxTheGreen - Retired

Well, it was clear on the Mendips for most of the night, occasional misty clouds drifting over. Unfortunately, the actual meteor shower was a bit...meh. Never mind, Jan 4th has the last chance to see Uranus before 2024 and a partial eclipse of the sun early morning if memory serves me right (it was on the last but one Sky at Night). There might be a meteor shower due then too...or was that the one we've just had they were talking about (knew I should have recorded it)smiley - sadface

Meteor shower tonight

Post 10

Radox I write a Post column on all things astronomy. If you check the latest one A77542239 which appeared early December, you'll see I went up to January to cover for the lack of a smiley - thepost over Christmas.

smiley - ok

Meteor shower tonight

Post 11

A T Hun

Hi G.Babe, was wondering what you meant by "latest one" on your page.
I think it is the Diary entries?
smiley - galaxy
Happy New Yearsmiley - bubblysmiley - snowman
keep warm, I've been hibernating myself.

Meteor shower tonight

Post 12

Hi Mr Hun smiley - smiley

<> A77542239 <--- is my latest (most recent) astronomy column. It's December's but The Post does not resume until after the essential dates of early Jan have passed, so I extended that BATS column. It's not just diary entriessmiley - ermI am wondering if you've clicked the correct link?

Happy New Year to you toosmiley - bubbly

Meteor shower tonight

Post 13

A T Hun

Hi, thanks. Not sure what I'm thanking you for but thanks anyways.
smiley - erm
ttfn...

Meteor shower tonight

Post 14

RadoxTheGreen - Retired

smiley - erm Yeah, I should probably start reading the post. Should probably read the stuff in my mailbox too...and my emails...ah, sod it.smiley - zzz

Key: Complain about this post