A Conversation for H2G2 Astronomy Society Home Page

I hate this atmosphere!

Post 1

Inverted Solipsist

I hate the atmosphere. In the eastern US, where I live, it has been almost constantly cloudy and rainy for three months. I missed a lunar elclipse because of it and I haven't managed to see Mars this opposition yet because every time I get up in the middle of the night to see it, it is too cloudy.

Does anyone have anny suggestions for dealing with these annoying clouds?

I hate this atmosphere!

Post 2

turvy (Fetch me my trousers Geoffrey...)

Get a job as an astronaut?

Move to Hawaii or Chile?

I've no sensible suggestions i'm afraid!

turvy

I hate this atmosphere!

Post 3

Inverted Solipsist

Thanks. Moving to the desert might work. Non-sensable ones are OK, too.

I hate this atmosphere!

Post 4

I missed the lunar eclipse too. But then I was in bed asleep!

The sky above North Wales have been pretty poor for months as well so we shall have to cry on each others shoulder.

I havn't managed to add to my Messier Marathon score for a good while.

turvy

I hate this atmosphere!

Post 5

R. Daneel Olivaw -- (User 201118) (Member FFFF, ARS, and DOS) ( -O- )

I missed the persied meteor shower even though I set my alarm and the sky was clear. I apparently woke up and turned it off--without rememering afterward. Weirder yet, my alarm is vey fard to turn off--it normally goes into sleep mode.

I hate this atmosphere!

Post 6

Metal Chicken

*Lots of sympathetic nodding*

Where I live in Derbyshire, North West England is notoriously wet and cloudy. I've missed all kinds of celestial delights because of the weather. OK, there've been loads of clear nights during the recent summer heatwave, but it's not very dark midsummer!!

What we need is some clever inventor smiley - scientist to build us a special clear-weather cannon attachment for telescopes, binoculars and such like, leading to guaranteed excellent astronomical viewing conditions for all. Or just something to shunt the cloud cover into the next county smiley - winkeye

I hate this atmosphere!

Post 7

Which county would you choose, seeing as you are surrounded!?smiley - biggrin

Stafforshire, South Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire, West Yorkshire...

turvy

I hate this atmosphere!

Post 8

Metal Chicken

smiley - laugh
Maybe just Greater Manchester - all that skyglow, they can't see anything anyway smiley - winkeye

I hate this atmosphere!

Post 9

Yeliab {h2g2as}

Actually yo haven't missed the Perseid meteor shower as it should peak around the 12th and 13th of August.

I've had reasonably good nights but unfortunatly too many things to do (OK in VR) and haven't even started the marathon, which is pretty poor. I've also not updated the h2g2 page for yonks. smiley - yikes Hmm...

I hate this atmosphere!

Post 10

R. Daneel Olivaw -- (User 201118) (Member FFFF, ARS, and DOS) ( -O- )

I was talking about last year's Perseid Meteor Shower. I should have been more specific.

I hate this atmosphere!

Post 11

Jake

Aw! I can only sympathise, living in the UK, you'll know we have a bit of a reputation for whinging about the weather! I have suffered a week and a half of rain, which is nowhere near as bad as you, but still very frustrating. I also missed the lunar eclipse, but let's conole ourselves with the fact that we'll get another chance in November.

You have two options. You can either move to a more favourable climate, or if you can't afford to do that, make the most of it whenever it's clear, and make the most of the net to look at cool stuff!

All the best,
Jungleface Jake.

Key: Complain about this post