This is the Message Centre for There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Somebody's been watching too much Beavis and Butthead

Post 1

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19364261
"David Dinsmore, managing editor of the Sun, said the paper had thought "long and hard" about publication"

Long... hard... uh huh huh huh

Post 2

Vip

The BBC showed a picture of the offending page - with a black bar over the photograph but leaving the text - and apparently it is "vital" that we see these pictures. Vital? Really? I have no problem with them covering the story, despite my lack of interest, but to say that showing the uncensored pictures is vital... pfffffft.

Then again, we could just titter about the pun instead. I can't decide if it was intentional or not. Surely they must have known... surely... smiley - snork

smiley - fairy

Post 3

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I was under the impression that the media, in the UK, had to be able to 'prove' their 'necessity' to publish such things, under the phrase 'public interest', as opposed to 'printing this will make us a ton of cash' smiley - huhsmiley - weird Well, I guess it makes a change from his nazi uniform... smiley - weird

Post 4

"He [Dinsmore] added: "Hundreds of millions of people have seen these pictures over the internet and it seems perverse that they shouldn't be shown in the pages of our newspaper.

"There is a public interest defence and part of that public interest defence is that if this thing has got so much publicity elsewhere that it would be perverse not to do it then that is acceptable and there is PCC case law on that basis."

Okay, if they're freely available all over the internet there's no need for The Sun to print them, other than to sell more copies and make more money. Cynical. And if they were pictures of Joe Bloggs nobody would be interested so you have to wonder about the motives of people who want to take a gander at Prince Harry's wedding tackle. Salacious.

Post 5

Vip

An interesting use of the word 'perverse' there. It is perverted to *not* display genitalia.

OK, OK, I'm picking that out a little out of context. But sometimes I wonder if people ever sit back and really think about what they are thinking before blurting it out.

smiley - fairy

Post 6

And let's face it, that's the old 'Well, everybody else is doing it' defence, which is no defence at all.

Post 7

Vip

Quite.

smiley - fairy

Post 8

Vip

It wasn't a good enough defense for those kids during the riots last year.

(Apologies for the multiple posts)

smiley - fairy

Post 9

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

There's a difference between perverse and perverted--perverse means acting against your own interest, or deliberately unreasonable. So while doing something perverse *may* be perverted, it is perfectly correct to point out that not printing a picture that will lead to more sales is perversesmiley - shrug

Post 10

Vip

smiley - ok. That's a fair point. smiley - smiley I suppose I was on my high horse a bit there.

smiley - fairy

Post 11

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Ahh... But can the public please have a photo of you on your high horse? smiley - ponysmiley - handcuffssmiley - silly

Post 12

*smirk* Vip's horse is high.

Post 13

Vip

smiley - snorksmiley - silly

smiley - fairy

Post 14

*Tries to imagine a high horse... *