This is the Message Centre for gypsy

Individualism, in general.

Post 1

gypsy

A thought occured to me today. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, I grab onto it and mull it over. It happened when I read a book that mentioned that a study was done to prove that people will complete surveys with answers that they think that society would approve of. While pondering this alarming issue it dawned on me that "society" constitutes a whole bunch of people who answered previous surveys who had pretty much hoped and guessed that thier answers would also please society. Yikes...a paradox!! So, why is it that we're a proud people who claim to love individualism and diversity? Sure, there are a few who will take thier stand on something different, but research seems to indicate that we don't want anyone to know what we're really thinking. What do you all think?

Post 2

MrWoo

Hello, Iowa!

I just stopped to say "hi!". How much more individualistic can we get? You're the only one from Iowa and apparently I'm the only one from Kansas.

Post 3

gypsy

You have my deepest of sympathies. How is Kansas? It's rarely on national news. Then again, niether is Iowa.

Post 4

MrWoo

Kansas has been a lot in the news recently, with our state board of ed promoting "creationism" at the expense of "evolutionism" last year. That has changed with the primaries, none of the creationists are on the ballot for November, even on the republican side of things. Now in Iowa, there's Al and Joe "rollin' on the river" through your lovely state, kissing babies and autographing cantaloupes. As for how are things down here in the Land of OZ, it's HOT. The school district has scaled back the heat schedule so that the kids are out by 1230 PM and they're using that schedule through next week, too. How's your move to Colorado going?

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for gypsy

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more