A Conversation for Ian McEwan's Novel Atonement

Peer Review: A87905569 - Ian McEwen's Novel Atonement

Post 1

minorvogonpoet

Entry: Ian McEwen's Novel Atonement - A87905569
Author: minorvogonpoet - U3099090

This entry is a contribution to Create's 'regrets' theme for March.

A87905569 - Ian McEwen's Novel Atonement

Post 2

Icy North

I've not read the paper novel, but I've listened to the BBC's somewhat abridged reading of it (and that scene with the letter contains the most obscene language I've ever heard on the BBC).

It is beautifully written, as you say, but I found it a very sad book on every level.

Your entry is a good potted summary of the plot and themes smiley - smiley

Post 3

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Kudos for taking this one on! 'Atonment' is such an important novel - but it's hard to talk about, isn't it? You've done a good job! smiley - smiley

>>He began his career writing dark short stories...<<

Could you reword that? That sentence stopped me cold, and I mentally heard 'short, dark stories'. I know, I know. But could you say something like 'short stories on dark themes', or similar?

>>They changed her life...<<
Sometimes readers have trouble with antecedents. Could you change that to 'These events changed her life...'? Sounds stronger.

Could you maybe add a paragraph discussing the class issue in more detail? Especially as regards the rape case. I understand if you don't want to do 'spoilers', but I suspect you could manage to get around that.

You may not want to discuss this issue here, but I often find myself wondering about the role that Dunkirk plays in the book. The place that event has in the British mind is unique, as I was reminded by American reactions to the recent film. (Basically clueless.) Does Dunkirk loom so large in this book because it presents both a threat and, at the same time, the possibility of social change? Change that might eliminate, or at least lessen the class difference between the two lovers? Just a thought.

What has always struck me about this story - after reading the book and watching the film twice - is how strong the child's imagination is - and how dangerous a weapon that is in the hands of a child. That's the most frightening thing about the book, which I thought was scarier than some of his other tales. McEwan managed to make fiction writing seem like a deadly occupation. smiley - winkeye

Post 4

minorvogonpoet

Thanks Dmitri.smiley - smiley

A87905569 - Ian McEwen's Novel 'Atonement'

Post 5

minorvogonpoet

I have added a little to the treatment of issues of class, to the retreat from Dunkirk, and to Briony's imaginative creation of Robbie as a monster. I hope these are improvements.

I think Icy North is right saying this is 'a very sad book'. There is nothing very positive about it.smiley - sadface

Post 6

smiley - ok Good job!

Post 7

minorvogonpoet

I think I'm happy with this now. smiley - ok

Post 8

SashaQ - happysad

Thank you for writing about this for the Guide - I haven't read the book, and I started watching the film but I had to stop because it was getting more violent than what I could cope with, so your summary is much appreciated...

Post 9

minorvogonpoet

Thanks Sasha.smiley - smiley

It's odd - I can read violent books but I tend to flee from violent films! smiley - yikes

Post 10

SashaQ - happysad

Possibly in reading books you can modulate your imagination to what you can cope with better, whereas seeing someone else's interpretation in film can be more disturbing...

I do tend to avoid violent films these days as it is difficult to judge how disturbing they will be - eg in 1997 I watched Highlander (1986), which was a 15, because it contains Queen songs and I was able to close my eyes at the messy bits, but a 21st Century X-Men film was rated 12 and the violence was much worse as closing my eyes wasn't enough...

I am careful with books, too. One in particular was recommended to me as it won prizes, and indeed the writing was impressively graphic so it made vivid pictures in my mind, but I didn't want to see that much violence so I had to close the book...

"McEwan managed to make fiction writing seem like a deadly occupation. "

Well put!

Post 11

minorvogonpoet

Thanks Sasha, you just alerted me to the fact that I'd mis-spelt the writer's name! smiley - biggrin

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 12

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 13

SashaQ - happysad

Congratulations! smiley - biggrinsmiley - bubbly

Post 14

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

smiley - applausesmiley - bubbly

Post 15

Icy North

smiley - bubbly

Post 16

smiley - applause

Key: Complain about this post