A Conversation for Conchita Wurst - Winner of Eurovision 2014

Peer Review: A87829492 - Conchita Wurst - Winner of Eurovision 2014

Post 1

SashaQ - happysad

Entry: Conchita Wurst - Winner of Eurovision 2014 - A87829492
Author: SashaQ - towel - don't panic! - U9936370

Here's a topical Entry I couldn't resist writing after enjoying Eurovision last Saturday smiley - biggrin

A87829492 - Conchita Wurst - Winner of Eurovision 2014

Post 2

Icy North

And very well written too smiley - smiley

You know who she reminds me of? Bearded lady in a dress, rude name,...

It's Cupid Stunt off the Kenny Everett Show.

Post 3

SashaQ - happysad

Thank you smiley - biggrin

As a concept, I agree with you, but in terms of how the performance of the women is carried out, they're miles apart...

smiley - blush

Post 4

Bluebottle

Are you saying that Conchita wasn't all in the best possible tastesmiley - evilgrin?!

Looks good to me. As I didn't see much of Eurovision, the one question I'd ask which this entry doesn't answer is how clear a winner was Conchita? You've said she gathered 290 points and was the clear winner, so I'm guessing that it wasn't a case of pipping the competitors to the post, but was it a landslide victory?

If I was being really fussy I'd want to know how clear a lead over the closest rival there was, and how does 290 points compare to winners in previous years? Or how many countries gave 12 points compared to the number which gave nil points? Conchita won, that is undeniable, I'd just like to know how big a victory it actually was. (Can we end the article by saying something along the lines of 'Conchita had the clearest lead in Eurovision for 10 years' or 'getting more votes than any winner since 1993' or whatever).

Feel free to ignore me, thoughsmiley - winkeye

<BB<

Post 5

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I like it... a lot smiley - smiley My only question, from reading it, that spring immediately to mind, and which I think might want clarification (a footnote maybe?), or, of course, I missed the explination <doh< is;
(near the start)
"he went through 'parallel puberty'"
I'm not sure what 'parallel puberty' is; it could be, biological (having both male and female anatomy), or more err, psychiological than physical, I guess, if that makes sense.... Just the one bit which confused me slightly smiley - blushsmiley - magic

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

I've seen reports of Conchita as being "transgender" and using "she" and "her". Other reports call "him" a "drag queen". The singer said "I'm just a singer in a beautiful dress, with a beard" (or words to that effect). I notice you use the pronoun "she".

Is this a question of using whatever pronoun the person in question wants to be referred to by, and is it worth a few lines in the Entry explaining this? You've written quite a bit about transgender people and are familiar with these issues, but the person reading this may not have encountered these issues before.

Post 7

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - wowthis is topical, well done Sasha!smiley - biggrin

Conchita sang the best song of the night (I watched the whole thing), she was referred to as "she" all the time, by the presenters. And I'd say she was the landslide winner, she took an early lead and didn't look at all like being caught. One of the more memorable winners (for me) and well deservedsmiley - bubbly

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - diva

Post 8

Pastey

The Guide has a lot if entries on gender, I know, I edited most of them smiley - biggrin so rather than going further into it in this entry, I'd link out to the others.

I thought this was a great entry with just enough information to properly inform, without getting dull. Really enjoyed reading it and feel educated!

Post 9

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks everyone smiley - biggrin

"Are you saying that Conchita wasn't all in the best possible tastesmiley - evilgrin?!"

smiley - blush I don't know whether the answer to that is yes or no, so let's put it this way - in terms of taste, Conchita's more to mine than Cupid...

I've added in some more numbers to show how clear the win was - it wasn't a record victory, but it wasn't very close run either.

I've added a little more detail about 'parallel puberty'.

I've tried to clarify Tom and Conchita's self identity a bit more, so hopefully that's better, too.

smiley - ok

Post 10

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

I really enjoyed this entry, SashaQ. I think that whatever Pastey may opine that the new 'civil rights' front is DEFINITELY on the gender-bending front. People need to appreciate how nuanced sex, gender and identity are and how all of these are on a spectrum ---there is not one way to be. I think this is the sort of thing that brings the New Enlightenment into the 21st century. One of the downsides of the (old) Enlightenment was it forced people into the heteronormative gender relations whereas people before that were much more accepting of eccentric behavior on the part of their fellow citizens.

I had left you a message on your PS but I don't know how much you are on h2g2, so it might have slipped pretty far down on your convo list.

Post 11

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks Elektra smiley - biggrin

Yes, I saw your post on my PS - I am on h2g2 every day, but don't always have time to deal with everything so didn't yet comment, sorry.

smiley - run

Post 12

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

No problem, SashaQ. I was just interested in your take on the article in question. Just do your thing, I didn't want to be bossy.

Post 13

Pastey

Elektra, you should read some of the entries I've edited that are in the Guide, they cover a very wide range.

Whilst I think referring to them in this entry is absolutely needed for context, I'm not so sure the entry itself is the place to go into detail about the issues.

Post 14

Gnomon - time to move on

I think the issue of Conchita's gender identity is central to her winning.

Post 15

Pastey

It's definitely a factor that should be covered in this entry, there's no doubt about that.

But what I'm thinking is that going into the types of gender identity is not really for this entry.

Post 16

Gnomon - time to move on

She's appearing on Graham Norton in a couple of minutes.

Post 17

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok

I watched, and will add a bit to the Entry tomorrow smiley - biggrin

Post 18

SashaQ - happysad

Updated smiley - ok

I added a little bit more about possible gender identity descriptions, but I agree with Pastey, that the detail of non-binary genders is too complicated to do justice to here, as the information about Conchita herself is limited by being reported in newspapers and by how much she may or may not know about transgender studies...

I added a couple more links (although I'm not 100% happy with the trans paragraph in the Descriptors Entry - must put my mind to an update of that soon...)

As to her win, it's difficult for me to say why she did - I certainly voted for her because she was singing to me, but I also think the song is very 'Eurovision' without being dull, as well as being well sung - many people *didn't* vote for her because of the way she looks, and the Romanian singer didn't win last year in spite of transgressing the gender binary...

Anyway - I hope the tweaks are an improvement to the Entry, but more feedback is welcome smiley - biggrin

Post 19

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Thanks for this, Sasha. <biggrin. It certainly enlightened me, having missed this year's Eurovision entirely. Not a bad song, either. smiley - winkeye

Post 20

Gnomon - time to move on

Could you please put a hyphen in bi-gender? At the moment it looks like big ender.

smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more