A Conversation for A Beginner's Guide to Making Plastic Models

Peer Review: A29908786 - The Fine Art Of Model Building From Plastic Kit Form

Post 1

U168592

Entry: The Fine Art Of Model Building From Plastic Kit Form - A29908786
Author: Uncle Travelling Matt (the Hoopy) - U168592

A Collaborative Entry, picked up from a while ago.

Enjoy smiley - smiley

A29908786 - The Fine Art Of Model Building From Plastic Kit Form

Post 2

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

A timely Entry, Matt smiley - oksmiley - smiley

'However, Hornby, who later bought the Airfix name, are apparently considering revitalising the brand'.

You may've seen the BBC Money Programme Special last night about AAirfix/Hornby. They were hoping to get their Dr Who model kit out in time for Christmas but, although a few models have been delivered to a shop in London, the vast majority have no chance of arriving in Britain (from China) until easrly in the New Year.

The prog says that many people remember where and when they built their first and subseqwuent models.

My first one was a Hawker Hunter - a black kit - which was a birthday present from my big brother. I also remember building the classic Airfix Lancaster, and a Catalina Flying Boat. Happy Days smiley - smiley

smiley - xmastreesmiley - santasmiley - giftsmiley - redwinesmiley - ale

Post 3

h5ringer

Well written and informative entry Matt smiley - ok

I spotted one sentence with a couple of 't's missing in it as I read through:

<>

smiley - towel

Post 4

U168592

Thanks both smiley - smiley

Al - I didn't see the show, but read about what Hornby are doing on the link provided in the Entry smiley - smiley Good to see smiley - smiley I've added your quote and thus added you as a Contributor if that's okay.

h5 - Filled in the missing t's smiley - ta

Post 5

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

And never throw any of the plastic bits away, until AFTER you have finished assembling the model.

I remember many tears of frustration from my brothers, when they found a teeny weeny piece was missing.

Post 6

U168592

Good point lil. Added smiley - ok

Post 7

Secretly Not Here Any More

My first was a Hawker Hurricane - but most of my money went on Citadel Miniatures, the most extortionate kind of plastic soldiers.

Post 8

U168592

My first was a Japanese Zero and Betty in 1:100th Scale. I remember my Dad helping me as he was (and still is) an avid model maker (his father was in the war, so I think he was of that age in the 60s). Then I won a local competition for being the youngest modeller at the ageof 5 and a bit - and was allowed to choose my own little toy as a prize. I got a Transformer smiley - rofl

Post 9

Deek

A good entry that seems pitched at about the right level for a beginner. It’s a long time since I did any modelling so things have probably moved on a bit by now, but I’d question the comments with regard to the recommended adhesives.

The type of glue that was traditionally in use was a Polystyrene cement, that was supplied in tubes, which usually deposits too much at one application. The version in bottles with an applicator, a brush or a tube, is a thinner viscosity and makes a much neater application. Superglue (cyanoacrylate) isn’t really suitable for use with plastic models, especially in the hands of a beginner unless you want everything stuck together, including your fingers. It does have its uses in modelling but that’s generally on certain applications to wooden/balsa models.

Oh, and separating parts from the sprue is best done with an old pair of nail scissors or clippers. It saves any amount of blades.

I’m glad to see Airfix back again. It almost makes me want to make another one.

DK

Post 10

U168592

Thanks Deke, I've amended the Entry now with that information. smiley - ok

Post 11

U168592

Oh, for those subscribed to this thread, what's the opinion on the Digression section?

Is it necessary? Is it too much of a digresion? Or is it a nice little addition?

I'm not sure myself.

Post 12

h5ringer

I'd keep the digression Matt, it definitely adds value. If it were me though I'd probably change the section heading to something like "When a model just won't do"

smiley - towel

Post 13

Deek

Re the Digression.
You should keep it, but I think it’s a tad too long. If you are referring to the matters on 1 : 1 scale in ‘Size does matter’ and ‘Too big for the bookshelf’ they could be amalgamated to a section on ‘scale’. But keep the Monty Python quote as it is amusing.

BTW, model aeroplane scale used to mainly be in the realms of 1/72 1/48 and 1/24. There were/are other oddball sizes but one modeller tends to stick with their favourite. If you would recommend the best for a beginner then I would say it would be 1/48 as an entry model as it takes the mid ground between too fiddley(72) and too many bits(24).

One other thing is the title. 'The Fine Art of Model Making'. To me that doesn’t sound quite right, I’d suggest The Art of Fine Model Making, or to tie in with the magazine on the subject. The Art of Fine Scale Modelling.

DK

A29908786 - Model Making

Post 14

U168592

Sorted smiley - ok

A29908786 - Model Making

Post 15

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

'However, Hornby, who later bought the Airfix name, are apparently considering revitalising the brand'.

There's no 'apparently' about it. As I said earlier, Airfix were hoping to get their 'Dr Who' kits out for this Christmas but the scheduling was a bit too tight.. The intention with Dr Who was to try and entice kids away from their electronic playstations etc. Also, they are retaining their military models portfolio in an effort not to alienate the traditionalists (and major customers) who are now in their 40s or older.

smiley - 2cents

A29908786 - Model Making

Post 16

U168592

Ok, footnote sorted smiley - smiley

A29908786 - Model Making

Post 17

DaveBlackeye

Great stuff smiley - ok

I resurrected my childhood hobby in my mid-thirties, when I was trying to give up smoking. A great way of taking your mind off stuff.

A few suggestions (some of which may be too detailed - I'll let you decide):

>>Tools of the Trade<<

I'd emphasise the importance of getting all the right bits in first. There is nothing more frustrating than opening the box with anticipation only to discover you've run out of flesh-colour paint and have to get the bus back into town before you can start of the pilot's head.

Under paints, it might be worth mentioning that you can also get matt, gloss (and the other one I can't remember). Using the wrong type is guaranteed to make your model look rubbish.

>>Polystyrene model cement is usually supplied in little tubes in a kit box, and can be bought separately. It is recommended as it has a thicker consistency - so is much better for glueing, and is far less messy. <<

Thicker than what? Feels like something is missing here.

Elastic bands are invaluable for holding parts together while the glue dries. Or daughter/girlfriend/wife's hairbands if no elastic bands available. Particularly useful with the two halves of aircraft fuselage in old Airfix kits, which never seemed to fit together neatly without huge gaps at one end or the other..

I also have a tea-light candle and a cork with a needle in it. I heat the needle in the candle flame and use it to make additional holes - you'd be amazed how many times you need to open out holes, put them in different places if the kit has optional parts such as underslung missiles or fuel tanks, and occasionally when the manufacturer has neglected to put holes where the intructions say they should be.

Keep empty paint tins for mixing colours in future.

Another hint is to keep clear ("glass") parts in their bags in the box until needed, lest they get covered in paint or glue and ruined.

I think it's worth pointing out that polystyrene cement actually "welds" the parts together rather than merely sticking them, so too much glue will result in an amorphous and irretrievable mess. Be especially careful and thrifty with clear parts.

smiley - cheers

A29908786 - Model Making

Post 18

Secretly Not Here Any More

I really, really, really want an airfix model. I can't express just how much...

A29908786 - Model Making

Post 19

U168592

It's funny, because after I wrote this Entry, a box shaped present appeared under the xmas tree...

A29908786 - Model Making

Post 20

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

Does it rattle? smiley - bigeyes

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more