A Conversation for Tinto Hill, South Lanarkshire Scotland

Peer Review: A1326151 - Tinto Hill, South Lanarkshire Scotland

Post 1

Maz Researcher 226229

Entry: Tinto Hill, South Lanarkshire Scotland - A1326151
Author: Maz Researcher 226229 - U226229

entered for its 2nd review. Taken from the flea market by myself, the first version was also done by myself.

A1326151 - Tinto Hill, South Lanarkshire Scotland

Post 2

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Just for the benefit of the PR populace, here's a link to the original PR thread: F122519?thread=274537

smiley - mouse

Post 3

frenchbean

Hi Maz smiley - smiley
I like your entry.

Can you explain what's so great that it merits a Guide entry? Is it outstanding for its views, it's geology (is that why it's an SSSI?), it's recreational activities?

On footnotes: the way to do them (if you're using GuideML) is: Write your footnote here, GuideML numbers them for you automatically - and puts them at the end of the text.

Para 1. - The map grid reference should read "OS Grid Ref NS...." as some people may not be using Ordnance Survey maps. Might be worth telling us which OS 1:50,000 Landranger map it's on as well (the number reference would be enough).

Para 3. - I am a bit confused by the last couple of sentences. Are you implying that it's a very wet walk? Surely most folk climbing a hill this size will be prepared? Perhaps say something like "Remember that if you are walking anywhere in the hills of Scotland, to be prepared for poor conditions underfoot".

Also on that para. it's a value judgement to say that the food is good value for money. Is it in a good food guide or equivalent? If so, perhaps think about referencing it.

The Walk: - I'd split this up into 2 or 3 paras. It's quite heavy going smiley - laughsmiley - sorry all in one chunk like that.

Para 6. - Why not just say it's a Site of Special Scientific Interest? And perhaps say why - is it the geology, which you've already mentioned, or the plants, birds??? Could be in a footnote. I'd certainly be interested to know.

Also that para. - being, presumably Scottish Natural Heritage? No harm in saying so and it gives people a better understanding.

smiley - cheers
F/b

Post 4

Martinmc

Ok finding out what map that tinto hill is list it on and will set to work on the other bits.smiley - smiley

Post 5

Martinmc

I should say I am still maz just the new bbci reg I change my name.

Post 6

frenchbean

Hi Martinmcsmiley - smiley
I look forward to seeing the changes...
smiley - cheers
F/b

Post 7

Maz Researcher 226229

I have my old name back so now down to the re edit

Post 8

GreyDesk

Welcome back smiley - ok

Post 9

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I think you may need to look at your GuideML, Maz, as some of it does not appear to work, eg the footnotes. I've had a brief look, and I think it may be to do with the way you've set up the entry.

Perhaps another slightly more knowledgeable person (a Sub, for instance) would have a look and make some helpful comments.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Post 10

Maz Researcher 226229

yeah I looked into the footnote coding and I had coding them the hardway , they have now been changed to the right way for h2g2 smiley - smiley

Post 11

GreyDesk

If we're going to get picky over the GuideML, there is a problem with your headers. You've done something interesting with FONT COLOR and SIZE. What you should be using is ... and ... .

And finally if I'm going to get really, really, really picky over the GuideML, then all tags should be capitalised - don't ask me why, but that's Guide style for you smiley - doh

Apart from that, it's all looking like good stuff smiley - ok

Post 12

Maz Researcher 226229

All headers changed and all coding now in caps.

Post 13

frenchbean

Welcome back Mazsmiley - smiley

I'll read it and get back to you...

smiley - cheers
F/b

Post 14

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Yes, it works much better now, Maz. smiley - cheers

Post 15

frenchbean

Hello Maz smiley - smiley

This reads much better - good for you. smiley - biggrin My comments are pretty minor...

It's typo time!! smiley - bigeyes

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Also, Site of Special Scientific Interest - note the capital letters.

In the 3rd para, you've repeated yourself about clean dry socks a bit.

And in the bit about gates - should people close gates if they're already open? There may be a reason for the farmer to leave it open.

smiley - cheers
F/b

Post 16

Maz Researcher 226229

typos now fixed , and a small rewrite about clean socks,

Post 17

frenchbean

Looking good Maz smiley - biggrin

smiley - cheers
F/b

Post 18

GreyDesk

Ah yes, clean socks are always important smiley - ok

Post 19

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

More typos:

if you`er northbound > if you`re northbound

dont sell new clean socks > don't sell new clean socks

climbed tinto and find > climbed Tinto and find

help pickout other hills > help pick out other hills

SHR(Scottish hill race > SHR (Scottish hill race

Nearly there ... smiley - smiley

Post 20

Atlantic_Cable

To answer GreyDesk's question:

As a sub, having the tags in CAPS makes them much easier to see in the rest of the entry. This is mainly useful if I am trying to track down a particularly awkward GuideML error (rare, but they do happen).

Most of the GuideML editing I do is simply tidying, adding carriage returns to make it more readable, that sort of thing.

The rest is spelling, grammar, appropriateness, layout, readability, etc, plus pulling out any non-authorised ML tags.

Key: Complain about this post