A Conversation for Looe, Cornwall, UK

Looe by name...Loo by nature!

Post 1

Superdreamer

I have been to Looe and it is very nice but it is also very crowded. On any weekend it is packed with tourists. Also the beach is one of the more polluted of the area, I would advise too steer clear of it. I much prefer the nearby town of Polperro which is not quite so crowded. I first went there one January in the fog and it was amazingly atmospheric. I also recomend Talland bay which is between Looe and Polperro. The road to it is very narrow with only just enough room for one car but it is a lovely bay. A walk along the coastal path from Looe to Polperro would be nice and you could catch the bus back. Also in Looe there are small motor boats for hire which are cheap and a lot of fun and the railway to Liskeard which I believe is also nice.

Post 2

Waxer

Yay! Hire out those motor boats! (My father owns some of them!) The beach is not as polluted as it used to be and regarding the original article the Atlantic Ocean is on the other(North) coast of Cornwall , Looe river runs into the English Channel.Come in May June or September to avoid the crowds!!

Post 3

$u$

Yep, Looe is very nice in May/June.smiley - smiley Very quaint (much like Cornwall in generalsmiley - winkeye). Some seriously 'strange' guest-house proprieters though.

Thought those boats looked a bit dodgy.smiley - tongueout

~A~

Post 4

Psybro

Who are these guest house propierters of which you speak?

Post 5

$u$

Um... I didn't catch their names. I was too busy running for the door!smiley - bigeyes

BTW, for the precise meaning of the word 'quaint' refer to it's definitive explanation, as given by Rincewind in 'The Colour of Magic'.smiley - winkeye

~A~

Post 6

Psybro

What was the name of the guest house?

Post 7

$u$

Um... Seaview... Baywatch... Dunroamin?smiley - bigeyes The most worrying guesthouse overlooked that little island, the name of which totally escapes me.

There really was a house called 'Dunroamin' in Caernarfon! C'mon, I mean...smiley - winkeye

~A~

Post 8

Waxer

I guess that would be LOOE Island then!(What did you expect? herds of Wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plains, the hanging gardens of babylon perhaps?? oops slipped into Basil Fawlty mode there!)) actually its also know as St Georges Island, If you stayed somewhere overlooking it you were out the posh end of town (Hannafore)!!

I like the House names where a couple use half of each name joined together to make a word!!

Post 9

$u$

Now we both know there's nowhere in Looe as classy as Fawlty Towers.smiley - tongueout

You mean those wildebeasts are not standard? Didn't stay there anyway... went right to the other end of town... as far away as possible... actually the proprieter there would have had much in common with Basil.smiley - winkeye

~A~

Post 10

Waxer

Wise move , Hannafore always smells of rotting seaweed smiley - fish, Kind of natural justice as all the houses out there are REALLY expensive and most of the people quite snooty!!smiley - winkeye

Post 11

$u$

Snooty... no. VERY strange... most assuredly.smiley - bigeyes

Oh, hello there. Haven't we met before?smiley - winkeye

~A~

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more