A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback - Bug Reports

journal entries after the move

Post 1

vegidolphin

I can't find my journal entries (or anyone elses for that matter) except for the most recent one. Are the other ones still around, or were they somehow gotten rid of during the switch?

Post 2

Jim Lynn

They won't have been checked yet. When the BBC took on h2g2, they decided that they were obliged to check every piece of content. This means they are checking about 830,000 forum postings and journal entries. Older ones will be checked after newer ones, so your journal entries will reappear eventually.

There's more information about all this here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/Moderation-Guidelines

Post 3

Baseline

It would appear that if you edit your journal entries they will appear when you view them, instead of getting the 'Moderation' message.

The Pre-move journal entries had three content options (Plain Text, HTML, and GuideML). Post move we're left with just the two (Plain Text and GuideML). What happened to HTML? Guide entries written in HTML now no longer appear properly and will take quite severe editing to make presentable. Please Help.

This moderation process that the BBC have inflicted on the site is killing it off. It'd be nice to see how many old researchers gave up when h2g2 moved. That BBC login thing is a pain.

Post 4

Jim Lynn

"It would appear that if you edit your journal entries they will appear when you view them, instead of getting the 'Moderation' message"

You're thinking about Guide entries, not Journal entries. You can't edit journal entries.

"What happened to HTML?"

We had to remove it because HTML allows people to incorporate applets and scripting which can expose security holes - allowing someone to pretend to be someone else on site, for example. And it breaks our efforts to ensure that pages can be delivered in multiple formats, which is even more important now we're with the BBC, and might possibly be delivering h2g2 content to PDAs, digital text, Web On TV, Interactive TV etc.

HTML was always a nasty kludge because people couldn't be bothered to learn the simple rules for GuideML. In the end, it was a bad decision that I was happy to remove. We were going to remove it long before the BBC move, but had held off because we had other things to do. When we had to shut down to transfer to the BBC, we took the opportunity to do it then.

Post 5

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

And to answer your other question, Baseline, I know of six Researchers who were present pre-move who have decided to leave h2g2. They are Dr. Goof Lithium, rangerjustice, Wandrin' Star, Duncan Jones, Twophlag Gargleblap, and Glider. I'm not aware of any others at this time.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more