A Conversation for Technical Feedback

Can't recommend entry

Post 1

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

I want to recommend A1035587 - The Proffesionals, but when I try the box says it's been recommended by whoami? Fine, except it doesn't appear on SoutRecomendations, or Comingup. I'm confused....

It looks like Six might have 'recycled' the A number, could this be the problem, as with AGB's entry a few months ago?

This is why one of my picks is late smiley - winkeye

smiley - ale

Can't recommend entry

Post 2

Jim Lynn

It *has* been recycled - it was originally the entry for A1090676.

Can't recommend entry

Post 3

The H2G2 Editors

Number Six has to remove this one from PR, create a new entry with exactly the same content, re-submit it into PR with an explantion as to what happened, and then let us know when it's been in there a week and we will then accept it.

Dear KA, can you point Number Six here to this thread so he knows what to do!

Many thanks. smiley - smiley

Can't recommend entry

Post 4

Right, wilco- I'll point him this way, and you can take it as one of my picks smiley - ok

smiley - ale

Can't recommend entry

Post 5

Rho

That's very odd. I've just clicked on 'Recommend Entry' for that entry as a test, and no error message appeared. smiley - erm

KerrAvon - Do you want me to recommend it for you on your behalf, counting it as one of your picks? smiley - smiley

RhoMuNuQ

Can't recommend entry

Post 6

J

Hmm me too.

Did you fix this, Jim? smiley - smiley

smiley - blacksheep

Can't recommend entry

Post 7

Oh, that's odd smiley - erm- I'll just try it now.

smiley - ale

Can't recommend entry

Post 8

Nope- box comes up fine, but after clicking ok you get the 'entry already rec'd' message.

Try it for yourself- if it goes okay, then great smiley - ok

smiley - ale

Can't recommend entry

Post 9

J

Still works for me smiley - smiley

Can't recommend entry

Post 10

J

Oh wait. The problem is after that... smiley - doh

Rho- why don't you do a test?

smiley - blacksheep

Can't recommend entry

Post 11

Rho

There's the same problem for me. smiley - sadface

I assumed that the message would appear straight after clicking the 'Recommend Entry' link, as it does if you try to recommend an already-recommended entry, as opposed to after clicking the 'Recommend Entry' button. smiley - erm

RhoMuNuQ

Can't recommend entry

Post 12

J

Yeah. I tried it too.

I guess #6 is going to have to wait a week smiley - sadface

smiley - blacksheep

Can't recommend entry

Post 13

h2g2Support

This is on the Feature sugegstions list - Prevent Scouts Recommending Articles Twice - If an article has been recommended from a Review Forum, then instead of displaying a 'Recommend' button for Scouts, simply display 'Already Recommended'. This should give Scouts a visible sign that an entry has been recycled, and they should be able to warn the Researcher to use a new entry.

Can't recommend entry

Post 14

J

I have a question. Would the Already Recommended display show before one week is up?

If not, after one week, when the Already Recommended button appears the interested scout would have been able to figure out it was recycled.

smiley - yawn

smiley - blacksheep

Can't recommend entry

Post 15

Rho

I thought that that suggestion referred to the 'Recommend Entry' link being displayed on articles that were still on the <./>ScoutRecommendations</.> list, to save the Scouts some time. smiley - erm

However, Bug #207 on <./>Development-Bugs</.> is definitely relevant: "Don't Prevent Previously-Edited Entries From Being Recommendable by Scouts - Currently Scouts cannot pick entries from PR if they have been the source for an Edited Entry already. This should not be the case". smiley - smiley

RhoMuNuQ

Can't recommend entry

Post 16

Number Six

Hear hear! And there was me trying to be all helpful-like in not using up more space than I needed to and recycling my pages...

Sorry about the mess, everyone!

smiley - mod

Can't recommend entry

Post 17

Mina

I did see that on the bugs list, but I didn't mention it because I'm not entirely sure that it's a good idea to recycle entries in this particular way. One reason is that Researchers should be encouraged to keep the original of their Edited Entries, it's the only one they have total control over. By not being able to use the entry again in Peer Review it helps this.

Number Six - you don't need to worry, we have plenty of pages!

Can't recommend entry

Post 18

Yeah, but surely that's Researchers' choice Mina- if they don't *want* to keep copies of their originals on site (they may have them stored off-site), that's their look out.

smiley - ale

Can't recommend entry

Post 19

Jim Lynn

You certainly don't need to worry about recycling - at the current rate, we won't run out of pages for another 80,000 years or so. By which time I'm confident we'll have moved to a 64bit numbering scheme at least.

Can't recommend entry

Post 20

SEF

The first million years, they were the worst. smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post