This is the Message Centre for Shellers (Master of wit and ready repartee)

France

Post 1

Shellers (Master of wit and ready repartee)

I've just returned from my sixth consecutive annual holiday in France and, once again, had a wonderful time. The food, the wine, the places, the food (well, I like the food) were everything I've come to expect of the country I fell in love with on my first visit.

France

Post 2

Princess Smartypants

I have just come back from holiday too! Where abouts in France did you go?

France

Post 3

Hi Princess,

I spent two weeks in rented gites - the first week was about an hour's drive inland from Nice, then the second was in the Tarn Gorge region between Albi and Rodez. The weather was superb and I had a brilliant time.

Whereabouts have you been?

Every time I go I look around at the cheap cottages with acres of land, and if I came into some money I'd retire there tomorrow - or preferably today. Have you seen any of them?

Steve

France

Post 4

Saint Petunia (Patron Saint of Free Spirits, and Keeper of Treasure) (come see important info and links on my page)

I went to France once when I was eighteen. When I went, the weather was bad most of the time, and there were some rude French people. Do you speak French? I took some French classes in college and did well in reading and writing it, but as far as speaking fluently well my brain had already determined that English and its dialects were to be my only spoken language. Have you been to Italy? I loved Italy, but maybe that was because the weather was better.

France

Post 5

Hi Petunia,

I took french at school (many years ago) but a lot of it's stuck with me, so I can get by when I'm there but am far from fluent. Have you read my guide entry on rude french people? It's accessible from my home page - I hope you don't take offence or were like that, but it's amazing the number of people who do behave that way. Whenever I've been in France the people couldn't have been nicer - except for a visit to Paris, where they're different anyway.

I've never been to Italy, but the Tuscany region looks beautiful. I'd wanted to pop over the border from near Nice this year but just ran out of time.

Bye for now.

Steve

France

Post 6

Saint Petunia (Patron Saint of Free Spirits, and Keeper of Treasure) (come see important info and links on my page)

I was just in Paris, so maybe that was the problem.

France

Post 7

From what I've heard, even the French don't like Parisians as they think they're a cut above the rest of the country.

France

Post 8

Princess Smartypants

I have to say Paris was lovely but I was sort of disappointed too. It has an awful lot of hype surrounding it!

I have not been to Italy but I would love to go.

Key: Complain about this post