A Conversation for The London Underground

Lines?

Post 21

Para

There's a dead tube station in Kentish Town, just next to a pub that used to be called "The Castle",
but is now called "The Verge".

Lines?

Post 22

Para

See my entry in this forum re an old Kentish Town station - but not Kentish Town Station, if yer know what I maen

Lines?

Post 23

Jonny Zoom

That'll be South Kentish Town. Also Down Street (between Hyde Park Corner and Green Park), Brompton Road (between Sth Ken and Knightsbridge) and Snow Hill (somewhere in the City).

LOOK AT

Post 24

jac220

jac220

Ghost Stations?

Post 25

Hugo Rune

Ghost stations, from the Ex-York Encyclopedia Morningtonia. I can't take credit.
Brompton Road (closed 1934) : Picadilly line, somewhere.
British Museum (cl. 1933) : Central line, between Tottenham Court Road & Holborn.
White City (cl. 1959) : Metropolitan line, between Shepherd's Bush & Latimer Road.
Uxbridge Road (cl. 1947) : Metropolitan line segment between Latimer Road & Kensington (Olympia); line segment also closed 1947.
Lords, and Marlborough Road (both cl. 1939) : Metropolitan line between Baker Street & Finchley Road.
St Mary's (Whitechapel Road) (cl. 1938) : Metropolitan line between Whitechapel & Aldgate East.
South Kentish Town (cl. 1924) : Northern line between Kentish Town & Camden Town.
City Road (cl. 1922) : Northern line between Angel & Old Street.
York Road (cl. 1932) : Piccadilly line between King's Cross & Caledonian Road.
Down Street (cl. 1932) : Piccadilly line between Green Park & Hyde Park Corner.
South Acton (cl. 1959) : District line segment was closed - station still serves the North London line.
Aldwych (cl. 1994) : Piccadilly line, peak-hours shuttle from Holborn.
Ongar and North Weald (cl. 1994) : Central line peak-hours shuttle from Epping.
Blake Hall (cl. 1983) : Central line between the ex-North Weald and Ongar.
Information garnered by Tony Kent (using Douglas Rose's 'The London Underground - A Diagrammatic History'), and The Cheesecake Man.

Ghost Stations?

Post 26

Jonny Zoom

Wow, thanks Rune. That probably saves me a trip to the London Transport Museum.

I'd better find something else to obsess about now.

Ghost Stations?

Post 27

Jonny

You don't feel like finding out the total length of all the escalators in the Underground system, do you?

No, thought not.

Ghost Stations?

Post 28

Jonny Zoom

Not really, but the other day I did catch myself trying to work out how many people the Tube carries in a day by counting the number of seats in a carriage and reasoning/multiplying in various factors from there.

Well, intellectual curiosity is a *good* thing.

Ghost Stations?

Post 29

Jonny

That sounds as bad as me trying to figure out how newsagents ever make any money.

Misty

Post 30

Global Village Idiot

I'm as helpless as a kitten up a tree...

Ghost Stations?

Post 31

Divy

I think everyone is forgetting the scariest ghost station of them all - Bank! Yes, it may look like an ordinary station, but come teatime the place is swarming with the most odious creatures known to mankind. Yes, stock-brokers.

Lines?

Post 32

Puterdan

Quite funny there... I was in london three years ago. I am from New York, where the subway has in one place five different lines running within 5 blocks of each other. As for the drone of "mind the gap" in the london tube, here in New York it would have to say "mind the crap" or "watch out for that homeless guy"

Danny

Lines?

Post 33

Lew 1

There once was a station at the top of the Metropolitan line next to watford called Watford Junction - I noticed it on the old tube maps in the London Transport Museum but if you go to Watford Junction today there is no sign of it.
By the way - I have a strange facination for old stations too

Ghost Stations?

Post 34

Hugo Rune

Well, Geoff Ryman's novel 253 figures that a Northern Line train has 253 seats on it (including the driver.) It also just happens to be readable at www.ryman-novel.com. There.

Lines?

Post 35

Global Village Idiot

Ah yes.

The Bakerloo Line used to run beyond Queen's Park to the same stations (and presumably on the same track) as what was later (and may still be) called the Harlequin Line, the local Watford Junction to Euston service. I believe it ran as LU only at peak times, at least towards the end. Since its discontinuation didn't result in actual station closures, it won't show up in the list.

I remember about 18 years ago thinking it still existed and going to the Junction on an underground ticket to "Watford" (meaning Met line) - and getting a good telling-off from the ticket inspector for my pains.

Remember the days of Red Ken's GLC, when under-16s could get a return to anywhere except Upminster for 10p? I saw so much of London that summer smiley - smiley. But what was wrong with Upminster?

Key: Complain about this post