This is the Message Centre for Titania (gone for lunch)

Lost in Skyrim

Post 1

Titania (gone for lunch)

At some point, I'll carry on with the Omens of Oblivion story, because I had fun writing it, but things need to settle down first, so probably not until a few weeks into the next year.

Meanwhile, this is what occupies what time I can spare at the moment; Skyrim. A game from the same folks that made Oblivion.

Here's some genuine footage from the game (the female bard is my favourite ingame bard, love her voice) to give you an idea of just how pretty this game is (I've mentioned numerous times that I'm a sucker when it comes to pretty graphics).

Be warned though, this song is rather pro-Imperial, 'death to Ulfric' style:

http://mexy.org/2122/sound-design/skyrim-lisette-and-the-bard-boys-the-age-of-aggression/

Lost in Skyrim

Post 2

Titania (gone for lunch)

You can pick the Imperial side, the Stormcloak side, or stay neutral. Whatever you decide, it will have a widespread effect on NPC attitudes and quests and what not. It will make the bards change their repertoire.

My current Nord female character Idun chose to support Ulfric Stormcloak (while my first Nord character Freya chose to help the Imperials).

The general difference is that the Imperial officers were pretty blunt and straight forward while Ulfric likes to be a bit more...

(can't think of the word I'm looking for right now)

...and he's given Idun the name Stormblade, and told her he regards her as kin now. How could I *not be charmed by that?

'What more could I ask of you? No, you're free to roam. I suspect the gods have needs for you elsewhere.'

'That said, some of the Legion's staunchest men have organized themselves, and are operating out of hidden military camps in the wilderness. If you come across any Imperials in your travels, I expect you'll know what to do.'

General Tullius (of the Imperial army) was much more blunt about it - kill any Stormcloaks you come across.

Lost in Skyrim

Post 3

Titania (gone for lunch)

Migth be a bit of a spoiler, so posting the lyrics here (Alduin is the most fierceful of all the dragons in Skyrim) - new bard song after you've defeated him:

Alduin's wings,
they did darken the sky
His roar fury's fire,
and his scales sharpened scythes

Men ran and cowered,
and they fought and they died
They burned and they bled
as they issued their cries

We need saviours to save us
from Alduin's rage
Heroes on the field
of this new war to wage

And if Alduin wins
man is gone from this world
Lost in the shadow
of the black wings unfurled

And then came the Tongues
on that terrible day
Steadfast as winter,
they entered the fray

And all heard the music
of Alduin's doom
The sweet song of Skyrim,
sky-shattering Thu'um

And so the Tongues freed us
from Alduin's rage
Gave the gift of the Voice
ushered in a new age

If Alduin is eternal,
then eternity's done
For his story is over
and the dragons are... gone

Not entirely true, there are still dragons around, but they are a lot less prone to attacking Idun, my current character. And I'm not entirely convinced that Alduin's really gone either.

Lost in Skyrim

Post 4

Candi - now 42!

I've never got into computer games, but I'm trying to keep an open mind, as I imagine my son may develop an interest at some point. So I appreciate being able to lurk other people's conversations and find out a bit about them smiley - smiley

Lost in Skyrim

Post 5

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

"they are a lot less prone to attacking"

smiley - envy

Three. In. A. Row.

Lost in Skyrim

Post 6

Titania (gone for lunch)

And Idun has had 2 dragons in a row hovering above and then flying off - but then, they were probably lesser dragons...

Lost in Skyrim

Post 7

Titania (gone for lunch)

Oh, and Candi, when it comes to kids and t'Internet and games, I'd recommend just sitting beside watching, keeping the kid company.

There are so many spoilt kids out there who get to play way too violent games at way too young age, simply because their parents don't 'have time' to pay an interest in what their kids are actually up to.

MMORPGs (Massively Multi Player Online Role Playing Games) of which War of Warcraft is the most obvious example I can think of of 'children gone wild'. Unbearable, at times, it is.

Lost in Skyrim

Post 8

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I stopped playing WoW for so long... I just could not be bothered after some 11-year-old followed me for 45 smiley - bleeping minutes trying to get me to group up with him so he could 'help me out' (trans: I kill everything and he leeches XP... I know this because he was a much lower level than I was and I later saw some poor sucker who'd decided to let him in).

Lost in Skyrim

Post 9

Candi - now 42!

Thanks, Ti - I think that's pretty inevitable - as we're home educating we take a very active interest in all his activities, and anyway he usually wants adult company and interaction most of the time. So far he's only playing very simple online games, but I know gaming can be a way into learning for a lot of kids and I want to be open to this, whilst still being mindful of any potential problems.
I'm sure part of the reason for the difficulties with unsupervised gaming kids is caused by a lack of interest or awareness in the parents, either ignoring what kids are doing or going to the other extreme and banning gaming completely (thus making it an irresistible temptation!)
Anyhow, didn't intend to rant, please excuse me smiley - blush

Lost in Skyrim

Post 10

Titania (gone for lunch)

Not at all, go ahead Candi, input from a non-gamer is always welcome. And as for ranting - isn't that one of the basic functions of h2g2?

Lost in Skyrim

Post 11

Titania (gone for lunch)

And yes, banning things only make them seem much more attractive - forbidden fruit etc...

Lost in Skyrim

Post 12

I think there also seems to be an assumption among parents that games = kids' stuff so even if it's clearly labelled as being for a certain age group they buy it anyway.

Thankfully some game shop staff are sufficiently on the ball to stop this happening like when I saw a father trying to buy his 8-year-old son Doom 3, which carries a BBFC '18' certificate.

Key: Complain about this post