A Conversation for St Albans, Hertfordshire, UK

I know St. Albans.

Post 1

Kate

and hate it with a vengance.
My dog, when just a little pup, poor thing, fell into a lake there.

and NOBODY calls it Verulanium.
it's VERY - LAME - ium.

I know St. Albans.

Post 2

Peta

Was it ok? My dog chased the dogs in when she was very much pregnant with pups and sank. I really dislike the park because I have been dragged around it for years and years. Although I do like St Albans itself. I went to art college there.

I know St. Albans.

Post 3

Researcher 33082

Me and the rest of St Pauls school, London, are forced to visit St Albans (we have to call it Verulamium) in the 3rd year of our miserable existance. Ah, I shall drown my sorrows in milk. Anyway, if you live in St Albans, look out for a troop of bored looking school children.

I know St. Albans.

Post 4

Kate

really, Peta?
what, in the same lake?

I know St. Albans.

Post 5

Peta

Yes in the same lake. Full of drowning dogs. Researcher at St Pauls - they will take you to the Abbey, dull as ditchwater. Actually its quite a nice abbey as abbey's go but if you as interested in them as I was it will be dull. There is a real skeleton that they dug up of a roman man in the roman museum so maybe you will go there to thats more interesting.

I know St. Albans.

Post 6

Kate

and also in the Roman museum...a real Roman Central Heating System that my friend had to jump into cos she dropped her pencil in it. Also in St. Albans, i think, is a little kiddies paddling pool thing. or i might be thinking of somewhere else.

I know St. Albans.

Post 7

Jim the Wonder Llama (back from yonder)

If you liked the Roman ruins at Verulanium, you may want to travel east a bit to the outskirts of Welwyn Garden City. On the main junction of the A1 and the road leading off to St Albans/Wheathampstead and Welwyn there is an interesting set of remains. While the A1 was being built, a Roman baths was uncovered, which I believe used to belong to an important house nearby in Roman times. I was dragged there whilst at junior school.

I know St. Albans.

Post 8

Seanie

Corrr, I was spared some trips by living in the North.... We went to The Isle of Man..... a pretty boring trip that was too (no offence intended to any IOM peeps!) but we had the fun of the Ferry and saw the TT track (can't really miss it though - you use it to travel around on)

My gosh, I can't wait to try out St.Albans, I have driven through but next time I'll be driven to stop and check it out. Is it true that its the most Expensive place outside of London?

I know St. Albans.

Post 9

Peta

I think so - I think it vies with Kingston on thames.

I know St. Albans.

Post 10

Jim the Wonder Llama (back from yonder)

Good job it doesn't have a cinema then..... Nobody would be able to afford it (only the mad/rich ones)

I know St. Albans.

Post 11

Peta

so what happened to the puppy?

I know St. Albans.

Post 12

Kate

oh, she's ok.
she's just had 2 litters herself, bless.

I know St. Albans.

Post 13

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

A little to the North of St Albans at a place called Rome there is an enormous collection of Roman relics and even some Roman clerics.

I know St. Albans.

Post 14

Kate

Welwyn Garden City?
no thanks, hon.
i've been there.
all the people i met were intensely boring.

I know St. Albans.

Post 15

Ginger The Feisty

I see a lot of my fellow rounders players are here but just in case there is someone I missed or someone visits in the meantime - Details of a good social event in London next sunday can be found at http://www.h2g2.com/P97788 .

I know St. Albans.

Post 16

Peta

Only its south. but never mind.

I know St. Albans.

Post 17

The 1 and only Elkherd

Knowing St. Albans is nothing to be proud of. I claim (falsely) not to know it.

I know St. Albans.

Post 18

The 1 and only Elkherd

However, as I have just remembered, I do actually know Saint Albans. He was a jovial sort of chap with bleeding eyes, and he appears to me in visions.

I know St. Albans.

Post 19

Col

You'd have to keep your pecker up if you had bleeding eyes.
So being jovial would have helped.
But wasn't Alban a Roman soldier who turned to Christianity and was put to death by the Romans for admitting his religion ?
Something like that.
And today people are still being killed for their religious beliefs.

I know St. Albans.

Post 20

The 1 and only Elkherd

Keep your pecker up???!!!

You are historically correct, Col. As he was being pout to death by the sword his eyes fell out and grew into trees or some shit.

I shall try to end on an equally important and sober note as you.

Key: Complain about this post