A Conversation for Stokey Sue

Salt rising bread - sourdough

Post 1

Paulthebread

Hi Sue!

I wanted to come on the food board to update everyone on the progress of my SRB. Unfortunately I'd forgotten they were closing at 6 tonight (until 9 on Tues, boo hoo!).

Here's what I was going to post:
"Checked at 7.30 – 6 hours since I added warmth – and the whole surface is covered in a thick (up to 1cm) layer of white foam. It smells atrocious, just as it's supposed to! Now I have to decide when to turn it into bread."

Now I've removed the potatoes and added 100g wholemeal. I'll give it until 10.00 then I hope to make it up into a dough and bake it around midnight. Just hope it rises so I can bake it tonight.

BTW, it's been listening to R2 most of the day!smiley - biggrin

That link was most useful - by reading several different recipes I came to the conclusion that you can very it more or less to suit yourself.

All the best for the New Year!

Cheers, Paulsmiley - smiley

Post 2

Paulthebread

Sue!
I have to tell someone!

The taste of the SRB is fantastic! Sarah Brown, who runs the website likens the smell and the taste to ripe French cheese.
I thought the smell would go once it was baked, but instead it deepens and becomes more pleasant. The taste of the bread seems to be an extension of this.
I thought it would be more solid than it turned out, but no, it's a lovely light loaf.
I'm quite chuffed - and I can't wait to get back on the boards to tell everyone about it.

ATB for the New Year,

Paulsmiley - smiley

Post 3

Stokey Sue

Glad to hear it worked first time!

I'm sure I have a literary reference to 'salt rising bread' somewhere in the grey cells but I can't get it to surface at the moment! Not Louisa May Alcott (Little Women) but something of that type - Gene Stratton Porter possibly? That would be the right geographic area, and there's a lot of domestic detail in the books.

Sue

PS sorry I didn't reply sooner - did an overnighter for the New Year. happy new Year!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more