A Conversation for Swords

Like :cheap: aluminium???

Post 1

Gaurav

In the 12th Century, there was nothing called 'cheap' aluminium ... it was fantastically expensive, since to extract pure aluminium required heating to over 2000 degrees C. In the 19th Century (I think) two scientists, Hall and H... I forgot his name ... developed a technique of purifying it at under 1000C ... within a week, Aluminium prices dropped by almost 200lbs/gm!

Post 2

Icarus

Right. Napoleon had a set of aluminum silverware that he let his really important guests use. The lower-end guests got gold silverware. Go figure. Irregardless of that interesting bit of trivia, I think the point was that the armor didn't put up much in the way of resistance to being cut.

Post 3

identify_me_by_long_nick_with_underscores_;-)

And it got really cheap after they
used electrolysis for purification.
Just BTW smiley - smiley

Post 4

Pete, never to have a time-specific nick again (Keeper of Disambiguating Semicolons) - Born in the Year of the Lab Rat

Aluminium was completely unknown until 1808, so there wasn't even such a thing as *expensive* aluminium.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more