A Conversation for Just a Minute - the Radio Programme

Previous episodes on mp3

Post 1

million-dollarbawbag

Would like to start off an idea to swap episodes either privately or making them available to everyone as the collection completes.

At time of writing i have 199 episodes with some crackers in there... Anniversary episodes for instance.

Let me know what you lot think

Tam

Previous episodes on mp3

Post 2

alyosha47

Interesting. I've 120 and of course would love more.

The BBC is publicly owned, and these episodes are very old. Is it legal to exchange them?

If so, how do you propose a swap?

Previous episodes on mp3

Post 3

million-dollarbawbag

Technically, to the letter of the law, I think its not even legal to have these as mp3/rm/wav's. BBC owns the copyright on these full stop.

However I also remember a recent ruling that, as you say, because the BBC *is* public domain, they had to make *all* their material freely publicly available - including tv shows.

Reasoning being they have already been paid for by you, me and my sweet old granny.

So i guess this leaves this in a 'grey' area for the moment. Im not seeing anyone complaining or admins intervening and a quick glance at the rules didnt say this we couldnt do this.

As to transfer method... I think the best way to tackle this is using p2p or irc... p2p I think is favourite.

Im going to setup a room called "Just a minute - Every minute". Ill post an email shortly with instruction on what will be needed and howto do it.

Ill use winmx... Its very clean, has no spyware and is reasonably fast.

Previous episodes on mp3

Post 4

million-dollarbawbag

Ok folks.

Download winmx from

http://www.winmx.com and install as instructions.

There are two methods of connecting with winmx. Primary and seconday. For those behind firewalls they cant set port forwardint then those people use seconday... else primary.

Room name is alive and is currently named

"Just A Minute - BBC - mp3 episodes"

Previous episodes on mp3

Post 5

million-dollarbawbag

Yes we can do as we (I (just incase theres any throwback)) suggest... and with blessing it seems from mother beeb herself.

As long as its not for commercial profit, which we certainly dont breach, were cool... lets rock and roll.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3177479.stm

minor issue

Post 6

alyosha47

I'm on a mac.

Would limewire work for the same purpose, or should we maybe set up a more direct p2p link between us with email or ftp?

ok how about this

Post 7

alyosha47

since it seems like it's just we two up here, I've set up [email protected] so we can exchange our real addresses. This way we can just use conventional methods of sharing what we've got. But first we need to be able to communicate outside this forum for it to happen.

So send me a way to get directly in touch with you, and then we can start by exchanging our episode lists, ok?

ok how about this

Post 8

million-dollarbawbag

Ive seen quite a few people on winmx sharing these and it shows up on a torrents search so whilst its not exactly mainstream... it is quite popular. A lot of the beeb shows are... I have steptoe and son episodes among others for instance.

Hmmm. I really like the idea of a p2p as its a little more controlled than an open FTP server but of course this generally isnt cross platform.

Okies. I do have an ftp server here but I dont feel this is the best solution as it would rely on people not only grabbing files they dont have but scanning the list and uploading ones that arent present.

I can see people doing the former... not so the latter.

Need a think about this. Let me come up with something and ill get back to you tomorrow. At the very least were going to need a naming convention, date, episode number, to make it easier.

Ill post here but have a copy of the email account you have set up.

Tam

ok how about this

Post 9

alyosha47

for the wider public what you say makes sense... but it seems that as we're the only two people on this thread at the moment, we could just share between us. I'd be willing to host, but either way we need to hook up outside the public forum to share details.

oh and I got that address slightly wrong.... it's .co.uk . if it makes a difference to the hotmail conglomerate, i don't know

ok how about this

Post 10

alyosha47

What happenned? Seems like this conversation just died. Anyway, if anyone's interested in swapping any episodes, [email protected] is my address. Start by swapping lists, finish with the episodes themselves.

ok how about this

Post 11

tbonetime

i'm interested in these shows!!

my email is [email protected]

Previous episodes on mp3

Post 12

alyosha47

OK I've done a bit of hunting and gathering, swapping and trading. Now I have 450 episodes.

Anyone with collectible goodies for trade, please contact me at [email protected] ... I need more. More. More! I'm a total junkie now.

Previous episodes on mp3

Post 13

laconian

Hmm, I have no episodes of my own (where did you get them from in first place? You can get them from CD compilations, I suppose).

Previous episodes on mp3

Post 14

trc1966

Hi, I have approx 200 JAM episodes, from 1970s thru to 2000s, some in mp3, others on tape waiting to be converted to mp3. I think it would be great to introduce some kind of swap system as the bbc dont seem interested in airing any of the earlier shows. smiley - cheers

Previous episodes on mp3

Post 15

alyosha47

Great, I don't know about a public trading system, which is a little more involved, but if you're up for swapping, I've got 470 episodes or so.

Please send a list of what you've got to [email protected], and we can get the ball rolling.

Previous episodes on mp3

Post 16

alyosha47

A few years down the line..... and I now have 598 radio episodes and the audio from 26 TV shows, plus 19 TV video files.

The hotmail address I gave back in 2005 is long dead.... I'm busy setting up a page to detail my holdings, and then if anyone is interested we can organize some swaps.

Previous episodes on mp3

Post 17

dadroz

Are previous episodes available for download yet?

Key: Complain about this post