Unexpected item in bagging area.
Beeep.
Please enter payment type.
Beeep.
Are you using your own bags?
Unexpected item in bagging area.
Please verify bags.
Beeep.
Unexpected item in bagging area. Unexpected item in bagging area. Unexpected item in bagging area. Beeep. Unexpected item in bagging area. Unexpected item in bagging area. Please verify bags. Beeep Unexpected item in bagging area. Unexpected item in bagging area. Unexpected item in bagging area. Beeep. Please verify bags. Please verify bags. Unexpected item in bagging area. Beeep. Unexpected item in bagging area. Unexpected item in bagging area. Unexpected item in bagging area. Beeep.

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

EPOS

Post 2

Mrs Zen

I find the subtly asynchronous renditions of identical messages from the four self-service tills in the Sainbury's Local by the office to be almost like a modern music work.

B

EPOS

Post 3

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

i just leave all the grub and walk away! it makes a point! smiley - smiley

EPOS

Post 4

Willem

This seems to be about technology that doesn't exist over here ...

EPOS

Post 5

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Whenever I hear 'unexpected item in the bagging area' message I look around for something *really unexpected, like the Spanish Inquisition at the very least.

EPOS

Post 6

LL Waz

When I was growing up calling someone a bag, usually 'old bag' was a common insult. That's what resonates when I hear these things constantly going on about bags smiley - erm. It tends to get personal.

Willem, you scan your own shopping through them and put it in bags on a weight sensitive plate. If the weight of what you put down doesn't match with the scanned barcode the machine tells you off.

They can work like a dream, or they can go bananas. They scanned a bunch of grapes through for me once at £32,000.

In our Sainsburys on Saturday there was a chorus of eight EPOS check-outs being conducted by a frantic wee girl who looked about 14. They were all going bananas. I was going bananas, the guy at the next machine was going bananas, S remained irritatingly unbananaed steadily scanning items through regardless of the whole beeping pandemonium.

EPOS

Post 7

LL Waz

Those were the days.

I have now seen EPOS from the inside. From the other end. From where the torrents of data recording every single item purchased, with its VAT code, its accounting code, its date and time, its method of payment, its banking date, its copy receipt, its till operative and its shop location pour down from The Cloud every second from 9.00 till 5.00 every day. From the end where the torrents of data must be matched with the pounds and pennies landing in the bank. Where the knots created by ever-inventive till operators forgetting to close the till for a week, hitting the wrong keys, forgetting the decimal point when purchasing £242 worth of milk from petty cash, giving the wrong change, mixing up paying-in slip numbers, must be untangled. Where the snags created by the ever-inventive software writers duplicating report fields, applying all three VAT codes to a single item, recording VAT to 100ths of pennies, missing out product lines entirely and Americanising the dates must be unsnagged. And where the hitches made by customers with refunds, bouncing cheques and foreign coins must be smoothed out.

Maybe this time next year the chaos that results from putting 20 odd charity shops on Epos without a test run, or parallel running, or effective on-the-ground training will have resolved itself and all will be calm. Maybe. Or maybe £800,000 worth of purchases of secondhand clothes, books and bric-a-brac will have drowned us.

EPOS

Post 8

Websailor

I've got a headache smiley - biggrin

Only use one when accompanied by'savvy' son smiley - biggrin The queues are usually longer than for the normal checkouts.

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for LL Waz

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more