A Conversation for Shark Fin Soup

Decimation

Post 1

raven

Sigh. I will likely be flamed for a pedant, but here goes, anyhow.

"...soup has singlehandedly decimated whole legions of sharks"

1. Soup does not posses hands
2. Decimation is the loss of one in ten. ( When a Roman legion ( = regiment ) exhibited cowardice in battle, one in every ten members was executed, a process termed decimation )
3. Sharks are not organised into legions.

I am guessing that you meant to say that entire populations of sharks have been reduced to a tenth of their former size.

Decimation

Post 2

Ashley

Agreed - I'm on the case now.

Thanks for this smiley - smiley

Decimation

Post 3

raven

Wow! That was fast, and gracious.

Decimation

Post 4

Ashley

I try to be as gracious as possible... a Gentleman and a Scholar smiley - smiley

Decimation

Post 5

Penguin Girl - returned at last

We need more gentlemanly scholars.

Decimation

Post 6

TheoDORE

"This is a common Chinese delicacy which is responsible for reducing the shark population to a tenth of its original size. "

Yes, the above is the official sanctified version. I can't find my original phrase of "...soup has singlehandedly decimated whole legions of sharks" now on the net.

But I stand up for my original phrasing. You see my poet's license waving in my hand? The imagery of soup mercilessly slaughtering whole cadres of sharks, bloodying the oceans to be finally double-boiled into neat little chinese bowls does more OOMMPHH!, wouldn't you say?smiley - smiley

Decimation

Post 7

PierceThorne

> 2. Decimation is the loss of one in ten.

Whilst I agree that decimate has been grossly misused and is poorly understood, I was led to understand that the application was somewhat different.

When occupied villages were unruly or failed to respect the orders of the occupying legions, the population was lined up and one in ten was killed in order to bring the rest of the villagers into line.

One imagines that either would be effective means of disciplining the victims (those 9 out of ten that survived, anyway.)

- PT
PierceThorne.com

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Shark Fin Soup

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more