A Conversation for Sapphire and Steel - the TV Series

S&S Rebirth

Post 1

Memnon

This series was definately a CULT series.
It would be great with all the advancements in technology if the series were remade and brought rights up to date with new special effects and who knows continue the series by seeing Sapphire and Steel escape their prison and go after the THINGS!! that trapped them there.
Why do I say things, because it was never exactly explained who or what trapped them there. It was only implied that it was their superiors.

S&S Rebirth

Post 2

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

While I'd like to see it return, I wouldn'y likr to see flashu effects- that wasn't the point of the series. The things the team fought were abstract, only in adventure four did we really have a physical to fight. I'd like to see the series return, but continue fighting unseen 'things'.

What trapped them? My take is it wasn't their 'superiors' as such- I eradit as the transurrranics being another set within the element's tem- the chaps that handled the really rough stuff- sort of an SAS. I figured they were pissed off that Sapphire and Steel were good enough to join them, but didn;t agree with their methods, and so refused.

smiley - ale

S&S Rebirth

Post 3

Munchkin

Remember now, Transuranics may not be used were there is life. To me that indicates they are well unstable and hence not above a bit of skullduggery. The big question is why Silver helps them, is he bribed, is it orders from on high or what?
Anyhoo, a modern version could be good, they can make sets much more creepy these days, but the total lack of effects was a strong point of the original to me. It was a very mundane, normal, world where the most disturbing things happened.

S&S Rebirth

Post 4

Silver doesn't help them- he uses their own box on them to send them back. He just can't save Sapphire and Steel.

That's the sort of thing I meant- dodgy wetworks type stuff- their way of stopping a time break being to destroy the planet or something. I figured that sort of thing went against S and S's personal ethics.

The important question we're missing here, is of course, 'were they shagging?' smiley - devil

smiley - ale

S&S Rebirth

Post 5

Munchkin

Nah, all that polyester would catch fire.

S&S Rebirth

Post 6

Munchkin

Nah, all that polyester would catch fire.

S&S Rebirth

Post 7

smiley - laugh Only Americans make the beast with two backs dressed smiley - winkeye

smiley - ale

S&S Rebirth

Post 8

Munchkin

Steel just looks like someone who wears polyester pyjamas. I think the late seventies scarred my sartorially.

S&S Rebirth

Post 9

Oh God, I'll never watch it with a straight face ever again smiley - laugh I imagined cotton stripes, to be honest.

smiley - ale

S&S Rebirth

Post 10

Munchkin

And possibly an Arthur Dent cast off dressing gown? I think I see where you are coming from.

S&S Rebirth

Post 11

Yep. Sensible, yet vaguely odd. Like his suits. They were sensible, but the ties kind of bright. Like Sapphire chose the ties, and he were them to humour her.

smiley - ale

S&S Rebirth

Post 12

Yep. Sensible, yet vaguely odd. Like his suits. They were sensible, but the ties kind of bright. Like Sapphire chose the ties, and he were them to humour her.

smiley - ale

S&S Rebirth

Post 13

Munchkin

I more see it as her fussing over him like a mother over a boy going to school. "You're not going out with that tie are you? Here, let me put a better one on you." "Yes Saph."

S&S Rebirth

Post 14

Hmm, but is he that tolerant? "get off me woman, just because you parade 'round like a sodding peacock..."

smiley - ale

S&S Rebirth

Post 15

Munchkin

Oh no, he is definately under the thumb. He wants to be all tough and manly but she is definately in charge. Certainly to my viewing. In the first one I get the feeling he would happily destroy the house, but she holds him back.

S&S Rebirth

Post 16

I got the feeling he'd destory the house, but only after they'd got the parents free. He sacrifies Tully in the second story, and virtually forces Sapphire to make a deal with the darkness.

I think he rules in some things, and her in others. When they disagree through out the series, sometimes one wins, sometimes the other. I reckon Steel keeps Sapphire emotional tentancies under check, but she stops him being too ruthless and headstrong. I can see him going along with personal things, just to keep her happy though. And he definitely hates Silver's flirting smiley - laugh

smiley - ale

S&S Rebirth

Post 17

Memnon

Steel was to put it bluntly the tough nut who did not care how he got the job done but that the job was done. Sapphire on the other hand was the more "human" element.
As for who imprisoned them.....Hum good suggestions but in the end do we know exactly who did it. Your idea that the transurenics did it is one good idea but you must remember that in a couple of the episodes their superiors were not happy with Steels methods and lets not forget all the unseen forces they narked off, boy isn't it hard to relay messages without slipping into the vernacular.
As for special effects, I don't mean go all Hollywood but there were several effects used in the original series that could be improved with modern technology.
But in the end who would become the new Sapphire and Steel?
Well Sapphire has to look sexy, look like she could handle herself in difficult situations, be mysterious and finally show some resemblance of human nature. The only actress I can think could do this is the actress out of Voyager (Star Trek) who played Seven of Nine.
As for Steel. As the name suggest he has to look like steel with no emotion. The only actors I can think of is Pierce Brosnan or Timothy Dalton.
What do you think??
As for your suggestion as to the sexual link......Wouldn't these two elements cause sparks BUT in the end this could be fun!!!!.

S&S Rebirth

Post 18

Steel was the harder one (obviously), but he did care- he was visibly upset when he almost stabbed a baby in Adventure Three, and he was clearly angry in Adventure Four when Ruth and Mr. Williamson was burnt alive.

I'm not sure if the actress who plays Seven of Nine is 'warm' enough- that may just be because of Seven of Nine's character though.

Pierce Brosnan is too damn smarmy!

smiley - ale

S&S Rebirth

Post 19

Munchkin

Oh Steel gets angry to be sure, but if the best way to stop something is to sacrifice people he will, witness the end of Adventure Two. Still, he has his soft side which lets him down in Adventure Six when he goes out of his way to rescue the girl instead of just leaving before the trap is sprung.
And as to who could play a new version, very difficult. I shall need to think about that. Hmmm.

S&S Rebirth

Post 20

I think he just couldn't come up with a better idea at the end of A2- plus by sacrificing one old man, he was setting free all those ghosts.

I'm not sure who could play them in a new version either... Hmm....

smiley - ale

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more