A Conversation for 'The Stainless Steel Rat' by Harry Harrison

Stainless Steel Rat - The Movie

Post 1

Mustapha

Word is that the Stainless one is to brought to the big screen.

After being on the tables for 16 years, it's finally been picked up by 20th C Fox and director Jan De Bont. De Bont sees the character as a space-age James Bond (though the The Saint would be closer) and believes the film has the potential to be a major franchise.

Post 2

Jim diGriz

Thanks for the info about the movie; I hadn't heard about that!

Well, I must admit to being a little cautious. You know what it's like when a favourite book that you've enjoyed for years is turned into a movie. Will the character look like the way I imagined him? How will they handle the first person narrative?

But I think De Bont's style would suit the film. It'd be nice to introduce a new generation of people to the Rat books!

Post 3

Shorty

Hey, nice article, gonna recomend it in this weeks post...are all these books still in print, I'm sorely tempted to hunt them down.

Post 4

Jim diGriz

Thanks!

I think most of them are still available. They sort of come and go.

However, I always see copies of Rat books available in 2nd hand book stalls.

And even our Central Library has some. Amazing! smiley - smiley

Post 5

Linus...42, i guess that makes me the answer...

Sorry for being a bit slow on the uptake...

Good article especially since i was unaware of the last 3 books. Hopefully they have made it down here, i will have to start looking immediately smiley - smiley

I know what you mean about the movie version though. For example i remember reading the Memoirs of an Invisible Man years ago and being very excited when i heard it was going to be a film, only to find out they had cast Chevy Chase as the main character. I didn't even bother seeing the film in the end although i heard it was pretty ordinary (to say the least) smiley - sadface

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more