This is the Message Centre for benjaminpmoore

NaJoPoMo: 27th November 2013

Post 1

benjaminpmoore

I had a job interview today. I could tell you about that. I also got an e-mail today telling me that at the comedy conference I am attending on Saturday I have been chosen to get 1-1 tuition on my sitcom script. I could tell you about that. But I'm not quite done with Doctor Who yet.

I discovered a brilliant thing yesterday. The credits for the 50th Anniversary show included someone who's name has never previous been mentioned before, at least not officially, not on TV. Her name is Delia Derbyshire. Delia contributed something very important, something that has survived as long as the Tardis, the Daleks, The Timelords. Something as much a part of the show as you care to name: the theme tune.
Now, let's be fair. The actual composing bit was done by Ron Grainger. Ron was, I gather, perfectly happy to share creative credit. It seems as if, since Delia was a staff composer, BBC rules of the time prevented her from getting a credit. In 1979, so I am, again, told, Ron Grainger recorded the theme as he originally intended it. It sounded like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1SZs4xudf8
Sorry Ron, Kudos for the tune, but Delia's brilliant arrangement makes it what it is. I'm not saying that Doctor Who wouldn't have worked without it -who knows- but to take the tune and turn it into the tour de force it now is, the spine tingling music epic that it would take a VERY brave exec to change, is mastery of the art indeed. What better time to give credit where credit is due.

Post 2

pebblederook-The old guy wearing surfer beads- what does he think he looks like?

I'm with you on that. Delia Derbyshire, thank you from a grateful fan.

Post 3

bobstafford

That is news to me thank you for noticeing and letting us know about this important lady. smiley - ok

Post 4

bobstafford

It was very up to date when it was composed what we have now is timeless I am pleased it was modified.smiley - ale

Post 5

Superfrenchie

I hadn't noticed either.
Well, I suppose I'll have to watch it again then.
I know, terrible, isn't it? smiley - winkeye

Thanks for this. smiley - ok

Post 6

Icy North

The Dr Who theme tune is easily the best part of the show.

It's high time we had a space rock revival. Get your old UFO and Hawkwind albums out smiley - smiley

Post 7

Icy North

Memories of better times smiley - smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk7ssJ5k_Ps

Post 8

Deb

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 9

benjaminpmoore

I think it's only fair to point out that I didn't actually notice this. It came up on my twitter feed and I pestered people with questions (as usual) and the result is this journal.

Post 10

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

[Amy P]

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for benjaminpmoore

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more