A Conversation for h2g2 FAQ: Your Journal

Delete???

Post 1

Titania (gone for lunch)

It seems you can't delete a journal - but you can turn it into a sort of 'hidden' mode - hidden when it comes to your user page and the 'click here to see more journal entries'

...but when Jonny/Ottox gave me a link where I could see the subjects of my journals (<./>F45492</.&gtsmiley - winkeye then the so called 'deleted' entries show up too!

And if someone has posted a reply to your journal, then the journal conversation will *not* disappear from his/hers conversation page!

Delete???

Post 2

Titania (gone for lunch)

Although it seems to have disappeared from my conversatin page - so I'm hiding it from myself?smiley - huh

Delete???

Post 3

Ottox

Yes. As I just said on the other thread, you unsubscribe yourself. You can't really delete it because it's a conversation and people already might be talking in it. Might be a problem if such a conversation suddenly disappeared. However, the FAQ page should tell that instead of saying that you can delete it! smiley - erm

Delete???

Post 4

Titania (gone for lunch)

That means people might still be posting replies to one of my journals - and I won't even know it, because by 'deleting' it I have unsubscribed from it!smiley - yikes

Delete???

Post 5

Ottox

Yes. smiley - erm

(ANOTHER good reason to use frames. Makes it easier to notice which conversations are active! smiley - winkeye)

Delete???

Post 6

Titania (gone for lunch)

OK, so... being incurably curious (as elves are bound to be) I decided to subscribe to the conversation of one of my deleted journals (someone had responded to it) - and that brought the journal right back on my user page!smiley - huh Shouldn't I at least have received some kind of message that 'subscribing to this conversation will reinstate a deleted journal'?

Delete???

Post 7

Ottox

smiley - whistle

Maybe. But actually subscribing to the thread *is* the way to reinstate a journal - as explained here in the FAQ.

(I should know. It was me who made them make *that* part of the page precise. smiley - winkeye)

Delete???

Post 8

Titania (gone for lunch)

Duhhh... mind if I just go smiley - boing?

Delete???

Post 9

Ottox

smiley - boingsmiley - boingsmiley - boingsmiley - boingsmiley - boingsmiley - boingsmiley - boingsmiley - boing

Delete???

Post 10

Martin Harper

Yes, the word 'delete' is misleading. The whole system is rather confusing, because subscription is linked to the display, when the two are conceptually different. 'remove from your personal space' is more accurate - as the actual link is phrased.

The FAQ should be changed to reflect reality... smiley - smiley

Delete???

Post 11

Mina

We are planning to look at all the help pages again. When we come to this one, we'll take your comments into consideration. Thanks for the feedback. smiley - smiley

Titania, has this thread helped? Ottox seems to have explained it all wonderfully. smiley - smiley

Delete???

Post 12

Titania (gone for lunch)

Yes, it helped - Ottox explained it very well!smiley - smiley

Delete???

Post 13

Ottox

smiley - blush And I'm not even a Guru... smiley - tongueout

Delete???

Post 14

Mina

Maybe you should think about it Ottox. smiley - winkeye

Delete???

Post 15

Ottox

Two weeks left here. And I *should* try to stay offline and get things done. smiley - smiley

Delete???

Post 16

Mina

For someday in the future maybe. smiley - smiley

Delete???

Post 17

Titania (gone for lunch)

Is it possible to see a list of my non-'deleted' journals?

I've been told I can look for them on the relevant Forum page, but *all* my journals show up there...smiley - erm

Delete???

Post 18

Titania (gone for lunch)

I guess what I'm after is if there's a 'type' code for journals like there is for entries? Like MA135628&type=1 for my edited entries and type=2 for my non-edited entries...

Delete???

Post 19

Mina

You can use the 'Show more of My Journal Entries' link underneath your journal, is that the one you are looking for?

That gives you an MJ.

Delete???

Post 20

Titania (gone for lunch)

No, because that will bring up the entire journals - I'm looking for a list of just the subjects of my journals - like this: F82769?thread=No, because that will bring up the entire journals - I'm looking for a list of just the subjects of my journals - like this: F82769 - but being able to choose to see just 'deleted' or just non-'deleted' journals

Key: Complain about this post