This is the Message Centre for I'm not really here

Managed to get started!

Post 1

I'm not really here

Yay! Only to find with a non-fiction book you have to write a book proposal first (luckily I found this quite quickly, before I'd written the whole thing), so am working my way through that. I have to keep stopping to go off and research stuff. Argh...

Taking longer to do this than it's going to take to drag the info kicking and screaming out of my brain...

smiley - biro

Managed to get started!

Post 2

Orcus

Writing a book on dog training?

Managed to get started!

Post 3

I'm not really here

Dog Walking. smiley - biggrin

I am fed up with researching after working on the proposal all day. smiley - wah

Managed to get started!

Post 4

Orcus

Nice.

Yeah I can imagine writing the proposal is a chore, we do that sort of thing in my job. PITA

Managed to get started!

Post 5

I'm not really here

Apparently they are normally 25-60 pages. That's like writing another book!? At least h2g2 gave me plenty of practise. It wasn't time wasted after all...

Managed to get started!

Post 6

Orcus

OUCH!

I guess it's maybe different but our research proposals are *strictly* limited in length (much shorter than that) to 6 pages at least for the main body. This used to make people type them out with 1 mm page margins and 6 point fonts but they stopped that by defining minimum font size and specifying fonts that are allowable plus fixed margins. There was uproar at the time but it means much less work for the reviewers and we're used to it now.

I guess you have to define what's new and unique about your book and what's timely about it along with specifying content huh?

Managed to get started!

Post 7

I'm not really here

Yes, basically who I am and why I have the cheek to think I can write on this subject, overview, table of contents, sample chapter (which is where the length comes in I assume), what the market is for this book, who else is writing books like this and how I will be much much better (the competative analysis which I have currently stalled on), what my marketting plan is and some other bits and bobs I haven't got round to reading through properly yet...

Managed to get started!

Post 8

Orcus

_Your_ marketing plan? Isn't that the publisher's job? smiley - huh

Managed to get started!

Post 9

I'm not really here

Apparently only for best sellers...

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for I'm not really here

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more