This is the Message Centre for I'm not really here

What a year...

Post 1

I'm not really here

Having now spent nearly a year on a behaviour modification programme, that includes modifying the behaviour of 3 of my dogs in order to facilitate the change in one of them, plus permanently modifying the behaviour of the two people in the house, plus control of visitors, and is not finished yet, I can truthfully say, if anyone, ever, comes to me for advice on fights in a multi-dog household my advice will now and forever be - permanent separation via kennels (either in or out) or immediate rehoming. I would not wish this last year on anyone - and I don't see how anyone who has a job, a social life, possibly children as well, can possibly put this much emotional effort and amount of time, and change their whole lives, for what is, in the end, just a dog.

Of course, my love for my dogs is indescribable, powerful, and unconditional), and if I rehomed one, the sunlight would go out of my life.

What a year...

Post 2

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

'Just a dog'.... nah... Can't believe you mean that at all! smiley - laughsmiley - dog Sounds like a lot of effort though so smiley - wow for your perserverance with doing it, for the sake of the 'just a dog's' smiley - winkeyesmiley - dog

What a year...

Post 3

I'm not really here

smiley - laugh No of course I don't mean it - but part of the reason I went through it was because even if I rehomed the dog in question, I would need to get another puppy - which would risk the same thing happening again anyway.

And I think it's made me a better trainer, seeing how life-changing it is to have a difficult dog. I went through it with Fred, but this has been more intense, as the risk is greater.

What a year...

Post 4

I'm not really here

well I've picked Fred up from the vets where Tinker put him this morning. Tinker has more wounds, but they are superficial - although they go from his face and head, right down to his tail. Fred has a few minors on his lips and chest, and one serious bite wound to his leg - with wounds on both sides where Tinker held on and shook his head (more than once). I have spent the day chatting with a very good friend who is a trainer and knows all the dogs, a long conversation with the behaviourist trainer who has been working with us for the past year and she will be ringing back later, at least one rescue and just waiting for another to call back now. I cannot keep both dogs, because it's not a happy place for any of them. And constantly, constantly at the back of my mind is 'am I rehoming the right one'. Fred always has been a difficult dog, and I love him - although he drives me mad on a daily basis. Tinker has this hatred for Fred, but otherwise is almost everything I wanted from a new dog. Despite the stress, while Fred was at the vets, it was quiet and peaceful. Tinker is no doubt the best dog to search for a new home for. But always there is the feeling how much easier life would be without Fred.

What a year...

Post 5

I'm not really here

And nobody gives a flying farking arcewipe.

Tell me. Why did I come back here?

What a year...

Post 6

SashaQ - happysad

Just a note to let you know I read your journal yesterday but didn't have anything to contribute, as I'm allergic to dogs so don't know much about them myself...

What a situation...

What a year...

Post 7

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

It's not just you Mina, this place has been quiet as the grave for a week or two now. Earlier this week my MP page went almost three days without a single non-admin conversation - mine or anyone else's - being updated. I read your post from yesterday too, but like Sasha I didn't have anything worthwhile to say, and think it's rude and disrespectful to leave a I-was-here smiley like smiley - lurk

What a year...

Post 8

Mol - on the new tablet

What they said smiley - hug

Mol

What a year...

Post 9

Baron Grim

Yep. Same here.

I started to post something, but the more I thought about my thoughts they just didn't seem helpful.

I was also going to commiserate a bit as I've twice tried to bring another cat into my home, but my older cat was having nothing to do with it. The first time he was aggressive as hell. The more recent time he was aggressive again but lost the fight and then was skulking around afraid to even come out from under my bed to the point of soiling my floor. Cats are much different than dogs, obviously, so this is not helpful at all. smiley - winkeye

I wish you dog situation could be fixed as easily as Cesar Milan and his magic "tsks" and touches make it look, but you are a dog expert and if you feel the situation is untenable, it must be. Rehoming sounds like the way to go, possibly to a home with no other dogs.

What a year...

Post 10

I'm not really here

It's the one time a conga full of hugs might have helped I think.

I've been working on it for a year, but still haven't been able to fix it - and the only answer now is complete separation which means one lives in a cage when the other is out. Just not right for the dogs.

This is harder than giving up that bad boyfriend I had that I still loved...

What a year...

Post 11

Woolly Mammoth

Can I hug? Sounds awful. We have this problem when we get a new cat, but thought dogs would be ok because they were pack animals.

Good luck

What a year...

Post 12

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I'll oblige with a hug smiley - hug And is a sympathetic smiley - hug because I've been in a similar situation with a cat. Dewey is intensely territorial. I've only ever known him to be friends with three other cats - an attractive white longhair who we decided was his girlfriend smiley - loveblush, a cat we called Big Ginge - an old ginger Tom who looked like he'd been in more fights than Henry Cooper (busted tail, one eye, lumps out of both ears), and Flossie. But before we got Flossie we got another cat because we thought Dewey needed company. The two of them fought like, umm, cat and cat. I don't know for sure why he didn't fight with Flossie, just tolerated her like a big brother tolerates an adoring younger sister... another thing I have extensive knowledge of smiley - winkeye

What a year...

Post 13

I'm not really here

Thank you!

Dogs are only naturally pack animals in a family unit, in a natural setting. In a domestic setting they are not really 'pack', more 'social' and in areas where there are feral dogs they do appear to form social groups together as scavengers around food sources. They fight less because they don't have the energy - they need it for searching for food.

In a domestic setting we put unrelated dogs into groups of our chosing, feed and love them so they have plenty of energy and in some cases it just doesn't work.

I have sent Tinker's details off to a terrier rehoming rescue, but I am smiley - grovel for a mircle still...

What a year...

Post 14

Peanut

Hi Mina

As BG has said if you can't make it work, then no-one could have.
It clearly is a horribly difficult decision to make but is the right one for the dogs and I know you are making it their best interests, that is cold comfort at best for you, knowing how you feel, emotionally an incredibly difficult one that goes to core of you.

smiley - cuddlesmiley - cuddlesmiley - cuddle

What a year...

Post 15

Woolly Mammoth

I'll second peanut hear. If you can't make it work no one can..

What a year...

Post 16

Baron Grim

I thought of your situation last night as I was in bed reading Allie Brosh's book Hyperbole and a Half. She had a chapter about her dogs, "Simple Dog" and "Helper Dog". It was about when she got Helper Dog thinking she would help her less than bright Simple Dog. Unfortunately she got the most messed up dog EVAR! She goes at length describing all the issues that Helper Dog has. The main problem is that Helper Dog wants to stop ALL OTHER DOGS! Even the knowledge that the neighbor's dog exists sends her into a fit of growling, drooling and bashing into the patio door.

Anyway, I wanted to share that with you as I thought you could empathize, but it's new material only in her book.

Oh, well. Here's two other stories about her dogs you might... enjoy?

Dog: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/07/dog.html
Dogs Don't Understand Basic Concepts Like Moving: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/11/dogs-dont-understand-basic-concepts.html

Share & Enjoy smiley - towel

Key: Complain about this post