A Conversation for Piccadilly Circus, London, UK

St James's

Post 1

Vestboy

St James's is the large Anglican church found along Piccadilly. Often in the midst of controversy the church opened its doors to homeless people at the height of the Conservative Government's crackdown. 500 people took refuge in a single night to escape the bitter cold of the London Sreets.

The late Bishop Trevor Huddleston lived there - famous for starting the Anti-apartheid movement and for giving Hugh Masakela (world renowned South African musician)his first trumpet.

Known as a home for many new age spiritual movements it is worth a visit if you are in the area.

St James's infirmary?

Post 2

Hapo

Is St James infirmary located somewehre near the church, or is it even the same place?

I mean the infirmary they talk about in the song with a same name. at least Joe Cocker has performed it but I think it a tradional song with many different performers during the year.

The lyrics begin something like: "I went down to Old Joe's bar room..." Nice slow song.

---

Got interested in Piccadilly, cause I should visit there for a couple of days next moth.

St James's infirmary?

Post 3

You can call me TC

I thought St James' infirmary was in New Orleans or somewhere. It is one of __the__ original blues songs.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Piccadilly Circus, London, UK

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more