A Conversation for English Usage in the Edited Guide

I'm going to nitpick about hyphens now

Post 1

SilverSolstice

Okay. It seems to me that your examples of where to place and not to place hyphens are a bit incorrect. I agree with the first, 'The garden was well-kept', because 'well' is an adverb and as such can legitimately modify 'kept'. However, in the others (except for the one dealing with the Madonna-like pose, which had to be reworked a bit to work anyway), you have an adjective modifying a verb, which simply doesn't work.

I could, of course, be wrong; after all, I didn't look in a grammar book to justify this claim; I simply relied on my own innate sense for correct grammar. It usually serves me well. I also don't want to seem like I'm attacking the article; it's great and I refer to it constantly; I just love finding errors in things and correcting them. Which is why I am a sub-editor, I guess! smiley - smiley So, tell me what you think.

Post 2

SilverSolstice

And, of course, in my correction of an error, I make one myself! Forgive the double posting. smiley - smiley

Post 3

TIMELORD

I am reminded of the story of "anna and the king" which of is wrong as she is an english teacher and telling the story she should not put her self first this was pointed out to the writer which is why the musical is called the"king and i"
As Jasper carrot said we all make mistakes as the dalek said falling of the dust bin.

Post 4

Mark Moxon

These examples were taken directly from a book on grammar - Anna's on holiday or I'd tell you which one.

So... I hope they're right!

Post 5

SilverSolstice

Well, I did say I was just relying on my innate sense of spelling and grammar, which has been proved wrong before. I basically absorbed the rules of grammar through reading so much, so proper grammar books have had very little influence on me. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more