A Conversation for Imagery and Neil Gaiman

Hmmmm....

Post 1

Ben The Hippy

Not being funny or anything, but your article doesn't have much to do with Gaiman's imagery. It's nice to see someone writing about his fiction rather than just the comicbooks, but if you're talking imagery, what about (for example) his constant reference to gods, the ravens, his knack of turning the divine into the everyday and vice versa?
Don't want to get all critical on you, but to say that 'Sandman is full of imagery' is a little, erm, obvious, don't you think? Like, the sea is full of fish. All creative writing contains images, there's nothing unusual about that. 'Imagery' on the other hand, is to do with the way the writer assembles symbols, images and ideas to communicate meaning.

Just my 2 cents worth.

BTH smiley - bigeyes

Hmmmm....

Post 2

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

Thanks for the input, Ben! Just to let you know, tooling around H2G2 I have found many articles on Gaiman's use of symbology in his writing, but I wanted to concentrate on the images that he presented outside of the symbolism. I agree that his novels don't get nearly enough attention, which is why I went into them. Once again, thanks for dropping by! smiley - smiley

Hmmmm....

Post 3

Robotron, formerly known as Robyn Graves and before that, GreyRose

Neil Gaiman is one of my two favorite authors. (Guess who the other one is smiley - winkeye )

I started reading Sandman in the ninth grade, and I thought it was the greatest thing. I still think it is one of the greatest books ever written. The only book you mentioned that I don't have and haven't read is Stardust. I always passed it up, because I didn't want to read it until I had read Neverwhere (wonderful, I didn't put it down until the end). One of the many times I looked for it at the bookstore, I was looking for it and saw Don't Panic. Of course I picked it up, and I was so elated to see that Gaiman had written it.

DNA's influence is felt in most of Gaiman's stuff. The most obvious is Door calling Richard "Richardrichardmayhewdick".

Anyway, great article. smiley - smiley

Hmmmm....

Post 4

Thanks for reading this, GreyRose! And thanks for the compliment! Neverwhere was an astounding story. I read it the first time in one sitting, then had to go back and read it again more slowly to pick up the details. I think that you'll enjoy Stardust very much. Its much more fantasy than true horror, but is still an amazing tale. Rumor has it that he is releasing a new book this summer called - I believe - New Gods. It sounds like its going to be another really good one - the premise is that when immigrants came to North America they brought their gods with them. Naturally, these gods are upset now at being replaced by cell phones and brokerage firms in peoples hearts, so they decide to take their people back. Cool, no? Also, if you get a chance, see the english version of Princess Mononoke. Neil helped write the screen play. smiley - smiley

Hmmmm....

Post 5

Oh, wow, that sounds awsome. I can't wait. I need to get Stardust. My New Years resolution was to buy more books and music. I also need to read Good Omens.

Now, I'm upset that I didn't go see Princess Mononoke in the theater. smiley - sadface I'll have to rent it when it comes out on video.

Thanks for the info. Now, I'm going to be thinking aboutthe new book until I get it.

Hmmmm....

Post 6

I shall have to read some of his books! I've read 'Good Omens', which of course is by both Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett... and it's one of my favourite books ever... I can't help wondering how different Gaiman's work is when he isn't writing alongside Pratchett... I suppose I'll have to go and find out, won't I?

smiley - smiley

Hmmmm....

Post 7

It's a touch darker without Pratchett - who is simply too amusing for words smiley - smiley - but certainly still has some smug amusement. It think that you'll like his work very much. My suggestion would be to start with Neverwhere. Its one of my favorite books of all time. Enjoy! smiley - smiley

Hmmmm....

Post 8

SilverSolstice

Came upon this entry yesterday. Haven't read much Gaiman - something of Sandman was being passed around on the transatlantic flight back from London - and since I had just been in London, and had some free time, I decided to so pick up Neverwhere at the library and see what the weird bit with 'Mind the Gap' was (and also to enjoy a good book. I really liked the Sandman on the plane, there's a kid at school who I think has them all and I'm going to borrow them very soon). Saw Smoke and Mirrors and couldn't resist picking it up too. Have now finished Neverwhere and have read up to Babycakes in S&M, and can read no further until I absorb it a little bit. God! It's one of the most astonishing, shaking, disturbing, frightening stories I've ever read. I keep reading it.

Hmmmm....

Post 9

That is a rough one! But its always hard to put Neil down. He's really one of the most engaging writers in recent memory. smiley - smiley I'm glad that you've found him and are enjoying him! What did you think of "Mind the gap"?

(PS - Sorry it took me so long to type back to you!)

Hmmmm....

Post 10

SilverSolstice

That's all right!

Actually, I found 'Mind the Gap' one of the least disturbing/alarming parts of the book, though that may have been in part because I was expecting it. I liked it that I had a frame of reference, though; if I'd read it a week before I wouldn't have. Finished S&M some time ago (I also love Murder Mysteries; Glass, Apples, Snow (the weird take on Snow White, which was delicious); and Virus. I may not have titles exactly right. Also have read Stardust, which I enjoyed.

I haven't got Sandman yet because we only have a couple weeks left in school and I know I couldn't finish them all in time, and nothing would drive me crazier than having to leave off in the middle of a series! So I'm planning to look into those over the summer. I have, however, managed to read Death: The Hiogh Cost of Living, and liked it.

Hmmmm....

Post 11

If you liked Death, then you'll like the Sandman series. She has several interesting cameos in it. And I think that you are totally correct to wait until you can read it all at once. I was forced to wait for each graphic novel to be released and there were times when the anticipation nearly killed me! smiley - winkeye

I have to agree that Mind the Gap was not as disturbing as other parts of Neverwhere, but it did make me more careful to leap over gaps on excalators, curbs, etc., just in case. smiley - winkeye Personally, I was rather fond of the rat girl and quite upset by her untimely demise.

Glass, Apples, Snow was one of my favorites out of S&M. I've read several re-writes of Snow White where we are supposed to identiy with the Witch, but this was the first version where I actually did! smiley - bigeyes

Rumors has it, btw, that Neil is in talks to write a movie script based on Neverwhere - even though it was already produced by the BBC as a series. (I've heard the series is really good, but haven't seen it on this side of the Big Puddle yet to make any determination.) Also, they're talking about making a Stardust movie, which I think would be absolutely marvelous. IT wasn't as dark - quite - as his other stories, so I think it would make his best break into the "Big Times" or whatever you want to call making feature films.

Hmmmm....

Post 12

SilverSolstice

I, too, have heard (or rather read) references to Gaiman's turning Neverwhere into a film. I just pray fervently that it isn't screwed up, as every other book I've seen turned into a movie has been. If he has much control in the process, it probably won't, though.

I deeply sympathize with your having had to wait for each new installment - what I love most about discovering complete series(es?) is that I _don't_ have to wait for them! I never truly appreciated this until a couple years ago, when the fourth book of a quartet was not due out until almost six months after I had read the third. I thought I would go mad!

I'm going to try to find Sandman in some secondhand book places in town (I can't imagine wanting to get rid of it, but someone must - after all, there is Asimov on the secondhand market, as well), but if that doesn't work out, I'll just deplete my savings some and order them all from Amazon or somewhere.

Hmmmm....

Post 13

They really are worth it. I bought all of mine at a local bookstore for full price and am absolutely in love with them still. I've seen some around here at second-hand places, though, so I'm sure that you can find most of them that way.

I'm holding out hope that Neil will maintain control on the Neverwhere film. Otherwise, I shudder to think what could happen to it. Apparently, Sam Raimi is trying to get involved as well, which is something that could be quite good or quite bad.

I have the unfortunate tendency to find a series halfway through, then be forced to wait for the rest. smiley - sigh Because of this, I have taken to rereading some of my faves, secure in the knowledge that the next book was published long ago. I know, though, that I will get pulled into another new series at some point and the anguish will begin again. smiley - winkeye

Hmmmm....

Post 14

foul fiend

Don't wait another second!
I started looking for Neil's work after reading "Good omens" as well, and he is even better than I had hoped. His work is extremely powerful (in that respect I think that "stardust", while being a very well written and original fairy-tale, does not contain the impact his other work has. In this I refer to "neverwhere","smoke and mirrors", and possibly more than anything else, to "sandman".
"Sandman" has set a new standard for comic books. I've only read two of the graphic novels to date (theyr'e difficult to get in israel) but I never imagined a comic could have such an impact on me. The man is a wonder you should not be thinking of him as "someone who worked with Terry pratchett" (although that's also something to be proud of) he's earned recognition for himself (and then some).
I strongly suggest you log out and go look for his work in the nearest bookstore.
yours.

Hmmmm....

Post 15

Lou

I've seen the 'Neverwhere' TV series and it's great while being pleasantly terrible in places. The Marquis, Croup and Vandemar are by far the best things in it, and the locations, costumes and such are all pretty impressive. But it still manages to look a bit like a low budget kiddie's drama series; some of the acting's a bit wooden, the Great Beast of London appears to be made from a motorised carpet and Islington getting sucked into wherever he's going is laughable. Also, they changed the bit at the end of the book where Richard and Door walk towards Medieval London, which isn't an intergral part of the story, but I rather liked it.

Hmmmm....

Post 16

I can't tell you how dreadfully jealous I am! I have yet to see it, although I have a good friend who has offered to lend it to me. You say the Marquis is well done? Who plays him? He is one of the best characters in the book - although I also found myself identifying with the Rat Girl - so I am looking forward to his apperance on the small screen. smiley - smiley

Hmmmm....

Post 17

Lou

The Marquis is played by a blokie called Patterson Joseph, just so you know smiley - smiley And he's definitely the best thing about the TV series. The only other thing he's been in as far as I know (and I don't know all that far) is 'Casualty' (extremely long running and repetitive hospital drama series, in case it hasn't been exported) in which he played a staff nurse with the obligatory 'dark and secret past which will inevitably catch up with him' and probably got brutally killed at some point, as is traditional for popular characters in hospital drama series. And thus probably perished his acting career. . .

Hmmmm....

Post 18

He sounds lovely! And we just got a new cable service that includes a BBC channel, so perhaps we'll get reruns of Neverwhere.

G7

Hmmmm....

Post 19

I am jealous of everyone who has seen the Neverwhere series too.

I also heard that Neil was working on a screenplay for it for the big screen and feel the same way everyone else does (excited but apprehensive {sp?}).

I finally read Stardust, and I liked it, but I thought it was sub-par. Maybe not "sub-par", but it's my least favorite of his stuff (Sandman could be called my bible).

Have you heard anything more about that "New Gods" book?

Hmmmm....

Post 20

Well, in theory it should be ready for release sometime this month. (I've been haunting the local bookstores, but haven't seen it yet.)

G7

Key: Complain about this post