A Conversation for Children Of The Damned

Prove your worth

Post 1

Mike A (snowblind)

Ok, we'll start off with Anonymouse.
I want you to prove that you are worthy of your tag.
You will be run a gauntlet of trivia, headbanging, and loyalty to your chosen band.

Go on, make my day! What's your favourite band?

Prove your worth

Post 2

Mike A (snowblind)

Same for you Jinx!

btw nonnie I now use that tag for Jonathan Brisby as well.

Prove your worth

Post 3

Queazer

Not sure if this is what you're after but here goes...

I was originally a big Maiden fan and regularly frequented the soundhouse roadshow at the Royal Standard in Blackhorse Road run by a certain Neil Kaye (sp?). As you will no doubt know, Mr Kaye was the Maiden's one time manager. A few of us got to know him fairly well and he let us in on the fact that 'A Fun Night With the Whole Population of Hackney' at the Marquee might be worth a visit. This turned out to be Adrian Smith's bands debut gig. In 'The Ship' pub across the road (the Marquee has moved since then) we met up with Neil and he introduced us to Steve Harris. ("We're not worthy!") As it turned out, after Ade's band had done their set, Maiden came on and did a few numbers. Unfortunately I was absolutely rat-arsed by that time and all I can remember is barging to the front of the stage and shouting at Dave Murray like some demented Boyzone fan. Ah, those were the days... smiley - smiley

Prove your worth

Post 4

Mike A (snowblind)

Wow, you're straight in! You are a true Knight In Satan's Service! I am so jelous of you.
You got to see Urchin -and- Iron Maiden in the early days! *sobs*
My friend's dad saw Maiden in the 70s. That's it.

Did you know about the hate mail that Dave used to get. I'll quote the one everyone knows about:

I would just like to warn Dave Murray the lead guitarist of Iron Maiden that if he steps foot inside Birmingham again I will personally pummel his brains in, cos he's ruined what I thought was an ace relationship with my girlfriend. And may I point out that no matter how much she rubs his name in my face, I still think Deb Brown of Wythenshawe is the best yet.
- Jealous Dave

Prove your worth

Post 5

Queazer

No, I didn't know about that. I bet Dave was really scared. smiley - smiley
Last time I saw Maiden was at Hammersmith on the 'Somewhere in Time' tour. The giant laser shooting Eddie was excellent! That and the huge inflatable Eddie head that lifted up Nicko's drum kit. Awesome stuff!

Prove your worth

Post 6

Mike A (snowblind)

Oh yea, I heard about them. Grr.

I went through the Maiden singles and albums on their website. Get this:
Live After Death- released 1 weeks after I'm born
No Prayer For The Dying- released 1 week before my 5th birthday
Hallowed Be Thy Name (live single)- released 3 days before my 8th birthday
A Real Dead One- released 11 days after 8th birthday
The X Factor- released 5 day before 10th birthday

So I'm going to buy both new singles and album when they're released in spring. I wonder if Maiden will ever come to Plymouth?

Prove your worth

Post 7

Queazer

You have just made me feel very, very old. Pass the Sanatogen smiley - smiley

Prove your worth

Post 8

Mike A (snowblind)

Hey, if you're old then you get to see all the decent bands in the good old days.
However, the young kids will have my bands to look forward to. I saw how all the punk bands got big, and I think "well, we've got it made haven't we?"

*passes Sanatogen, wondering what it is*

Prove your worth

Post 9

Anonymouse

Well, I hate to disappoint you, but after all.. you didn't ask for Metal Band Lot Lice (aka: grouppies), you just asked if I liked Metal.

I'm not big on Trivia, and I don't follow the careers of Artists with baited breath. I just like the music. (So what if it happens that a lot of the good stuff comes from a few of the best? That -doesn't- make me a 'fan' of a band.. ... no, really, it doesn't! smiley - bigeyes)

Mean Mouse Machine

MMM?

'Nonnie

Prove your worth

Post 10

Mike A (snowblind)

Any particular bands you like?
I'm pretty single-minded with my music, but I can tell their sound.

Slayer is a very raw, aggressive type. Saxon is more of an 'ordinary heavyish guitar-screaming vocals' type job. Iron Maiden I just take for granted so I can't describe them very well.

Prove your worth

Post 11

The Ghost Of TV's Frink

Ok, here goes..........

I am not a heavy metal fan. Never really minded it, but never really liked it either. But one heavy metal band managed to find its way into my cd collection - King Diamond.

I blame a college roommate. He played King D all the time, and as we found out, singing (scraming) along was a great stress reliever. Mr. Diamond has one hell of a screeching voice!

The album we listened to most was "Them". It is a concept album about a guy (King D), his spooky grandma, and the supernatural forces that live in the house. These forces are called "Them".

A great album, and completely out of place on my shelf.

"Cups were rising in thin air
and then emptied onto the floor.
Suddenly the door was open
and Grandma' said
'Do come in my little friend'"

Prove your worth

Post 12

Anonymouse

Well, I like a lot of Ozzie, Iron Maiden, Iron Butterfly--erm.. wait a minute.. smiley - winkeye

Prove your worth

Post 13

Mike A (snowblind)

Iron Monkey...?
smiley - winkeye

On concept albums, has anyone heard Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son and Fear Of The Dark. The former is a concept album and the latter isn't. I say: "my arse!"
Seventh Son seems to have nothing to do with the Ice Age compared to Fear. I mean, on it you have Fear Of The Dark, Fear Is The Key, Afraid To Shoot Strangers and Childhood's End (which mentions fear).

But then I haven't really heard Seventh Son, so I'm going by the little extracts I've heard. But I still think Fear Of The Datk makes a better job of being a concept album.

Prove your worth

Post 14

The Ghost Of TV's Frink

I'm afraid I can't give my opinion, since the topic is unrelated to Them. smiley - sadface

Prove your worth

Post 15

Shade

Oh my god, who are you people?!

I have been around since the days of Live After death as a Maiden fan, quickly bought up the back issues, and followed them since, although losing interest at around the Fear of the Dark stage.

You guys need a real dose of what Maiden means. Sure Seventh Son was a concept albumn, whith songs like the Clairvoyant and Can I play with madness. FOTD was just another albumn, deservedly.

Buy any albumn before Seventh Son, and you will see what Iron Maiden was, and what they should have stayed.

Was it not one of the singles from FOTD that they started using picks of the band as single covers instead of Eddie? How bad was that?

Wrathchild

Prove your worth

Post 16

Mike A (snowblind)

Well, seeing as Maiden albums are way overpriced where I live, I just pick up what I can find on the cheap. Thus I have Number Of The Beast, The X Factor, A Real Live Dead One and Best Of The Beast.
As I'm pretty much a newbie in the HM scene, I just know what I see and hear.
To me Iron Maiden are the greatest metal band ever, with a wholly unique sound and songwriting. And a well deserved break from those bloody American bands.

And they only used a pic of the band on one single cover, From Here To Eternity.
To be honest, I was more shoked by the Live At Donnington cover. That ain't Eddie!

Prove your worth

Post 17

Shade

You poor boy, you are missing the best of what Maiden are. Hunt down copies of Powerslave, Killers, Iron Maiden and the others.

Listen to what Maiden was, and you will see why the die hard fans like myself are not to interested in the recent stuff, unless they begin to show shades of their fromer glory.

Prove your worth

Post 18

Mike A (snowblind)

Powerslave: Worth checking out perhaps.
Iron Maiden: Not impressed with.
Killers: No longer impressed with.
This stuff has to be really VFM before I go spend £16 on it.
But then...there is amazon.co.uk. Hmmm....just remembered that. Hurrah!

Another thing that's bugged me is the lack of UK gigs on this years tour. Maiden may not like being treated like a cute antique, but they still have fans here, not all of whom can make it to Earl's Court.
Doh, methinks I'll have to miss out on that smiley - sadface.

Prove your worth

Post 19

Anonymouse

Iron Horse? smiley - winkeye

Anyway, I've been reading through the thread, and must say my feet are atappin' smiley - bigeyes

AC/DC, of course, being probaly the best 'well-known' (a rock cross-over, to a point even)... Full Moon (which is one you all have never heard of, as it was a local band that has disbandeded... uhm.. several years ago... Both did much-requested:

smiley - musicalnote You got your balls to the wall, man! smiley - musicalnotesmiley - winkeye

Maiden is a given.

Been listening to Ozzy since "I'm Eighteen" was a -new- song and I was looking forward to the majik number myself. smiley - winkeye WCFL (AM), Chicago! Can't remember the Ontario station.. CKLW? Also AM.. on a Realistic six-transistor I kept under my pillow... *oops* .. giving away my age here. smiley - winkeye

'Nonnie

Prove your worth

Post 20

Anonymouse

PS Shouldn't Jethro Tull have a listing here? smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post