A Conversation for How do I...?

Cheering people up

Post 1

The Japper

Hi,

A friend of mine ( a fine looking, female friend of mine) is feeling a bit low- does anyone have any good, fast, cheery ideas to pick her up a bit. I've suggested walking barefoot on grass, but that was met with a 'F*ck-off' look.

So can anyone do better than me?

Thanks

Cheering people up

Post 2

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Part of cheering someone up is having good timing. If she is shooting you a harsh look right now, she may need some time to brood on things. Or she may need to talk about what's bothering her. It's very hard to go from feeling truly down in the dumps to, 'Sure, I'll go barefoot and give you a little smile.

For me, just knowing that somebody cares usually helps. However, I'm often not ready to express my gratitude until I start to feel a little better.

I hope that helps. smiley - smiley

Cheering people up

Post 3

Is mise Duncan

Not much works as well as a spontaneous cup of tea, IMHO.

Cheering people up

Post 4

jqr

I agree with the tea. Best advantage, it seems, is that if the sad person doesn't want any tea he or she can simply accept it, leave it alone in the corner and let it cool off undisturbed. smiley - smiley

Cheering people up

Post 5

Lisa the Freak // Poet by the Toga

....It could be put down to a bout of PMT, you never know smiley - winkeye

Cheering people up

Post 6

Straw Walker

Just listening, sympathetically, to her talk about what is troubling her, may help.

Cheering people up

Post 7

Dovegirl

A few flowers always does the trick for me. It doesn't have to be a huge (and expensive) bouquet. At this time of year a few daisies will do - it's the fact that you thought about it that is the important bit.

Cheering people up

Post 8

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

chocolate is also good, if the subject is a chocolate liking person. (generally the case).

Cheering people up

Post 9

Martin Harper

there's nothing worse than being told to cheer up when it's obvious that the requester is only asking you to do so for their own benefit...

MyRedDice - "No! I happen to *like* scowling!"

Cheering people up

Post 10

§hadow

On average, when dealing with an upset female, as a male, the hard part to remember is to JUST LISTEN. Don't try and offer solutions to the problem or tell her how to go about fixing it. Be sympathetic, make sympathetic comments, encourage her to talk and JUST LISTEN.
~§~ smiley - smiley

Cheering people up

Post 11

megn

take her to a coffeshop and drink coffee with her. this is where conversations usually stop. if she doesn't bring anything up, you might ask "Are you doing okay?" if she doesn't want to talk, don't pry. maybe she doesn't want to be cheered up and maybe it's something she has to work out by herself. good luck.

Cheering people up

Post 12

Wand'rin star

What did you try, and what worked?

Cheering people up

Post 13

Cheerful Dragon

Chocolate can be a good one. If I'm feeling low for no particular reason, it's often low blood sugar. Plus the taste cheers me up.

Other than that, if I'm depressed for a particular reason I usually go off by myself until I've mentally sorted it out. I don't like burdening Richard with my woes, particularly if they're not things he can help with. Sometimes, though, a friendly ear, a shoulder to cry on and a cup of tea (or coffee) can work wonders.

A bunch of flowers might also help. Richard gives me flowers for no reason, for a specific occasion or if he's screwed something up recently. I don't think he's ever bought me flowers to cheer me up.

Key: Complain about this post