A Conversation for How do I...?

How do I stop a squeaky chair...

Post 1

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

....From squeaking? It's an office chair from Staples, if that helps.

smiley - pirate

Post 2

Icy North

I've no idea, but I've some squeaky shoes I'd like silenced. Maybe it's the same solution?

Post 3

For all I know.

smiley - pirate

Post 4

STRANGELY STRANGE ( A brain on a spring )

All squeaky things should be taken out and shot.
It is cruel, heartless and horrific, but humane somehow. Or you could try WD40.....

Post 5

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

It sounds awfully lot like a zombie infestation to me.
Best bet is to get a shot gun and blow the living daylights out of it. Better safe than sorry.

Post 6

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

What's the chair made of?

Post 7

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit with squeeking doors
"Depends on what the squeeck produces, the hinges of my doors need some oil, shoes perhaps soime polish and the chair maybe a welder smiley - rocketsmiley - yikes

That was what a chair at the office required last time smiley - biggrin "

Post 8

It's made out of leather in general; but obviously it's squeaking at the hinge on the bottom, which is some kind of metal. Oil is probably what I should use, but what kind and how do I apply it properly?

smiley - pirate

Post 9

azahar

Any sort of oil, just slather or squirt it on liberally in the general area of the squeak and that ought to sort it out. smiley - smiley

It's amazing how people leave things squeaking for years when even a dab of butter would do the trick.

az

Post 10

How long will it last?

smiley - pirate

Post 11

azahar

When I've oiled squeaky door hinges they've stopped squeaking for years. I usually use 3-in-1 or WD40, but I have also used olive oil.

Of course, it might be a totally other sort of squeak you have going there.

az

Post 12

Slugzzz

You should beat the chair into submission and then kindly apologize but in the "you deserved it" sense. You could also apply a liberal amount of WD-40, but the former is much more entertaining.

Post 13

Icy North

smiley - laugh

(and welcome to h2g2, Slugzzz)

Post 14

Iamhappyhappyhappy

Use a pencil. The graphite in the pencil lead can make a barrier between two surfaces rubbing together and squeaking. Just draw in any crevice, joint, wheel, or hub, where you see a part that could possibly move. And don’t forget the springs under the seat. Get down under the chair and hold the pencil the same way you do when you are writing. Then start writing. But don’t let anyone see you do it. You know how people feel about graffiti in the office.

Post 15

Researcher 815350

Give it a dose of WD-40.*

[ www.wd40.com/products/ ]

*Other products are available.**

**But are rubbish copmpared with WD-40. smiley - whistle

Post 16

lostmonalisa

it will probably last until it starts squeaking again. That's how it usually works.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more