A Conversation for Tips For Devon Drivers

A240184 Driving In devon

Post 1

C Hawke

http://www.h2g2.com/A240184

Another gem that the researcher didn't want to submit and who has now gone on an extended lunch break - I think it is worth a look see.

C Hawke - Scout of the depths

A240184 Driving In devon

Post 2

Global Village Idiot

As someone who's recently been driving in Devon a lot - and marvelling at how narrow the roads are, even compared to back home in rural Ireland - I cannot but agree wholeheartedly. Thanks go out to both CH and Gemma.
smiley - smiley
GVI

A240184 Driving In devon

Post 3

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

I cannot but agree with that statement of agreement. There are some comments posted underneath that are worth including too.smiley - smiley

JTG

A240184 Driving In devon

Post 4

C Hawke

With Gemma (the researcher) on an extended lunch break (since Feb) I hope the subs pick the extra comments up, and maybe someone in H2G2 towers could try and find the young(?) reseacher in question. I remember talking to her at the time and have just refreshed my memory of those conversations - she wrote the entry after a single visit to Devon so it really is a good bit of observation.

Now back to the depths of the guide.

Hawke - Deep Guide Scout

A240184 Driving In devon

Post 5

Eccentrica

Hi!
I was intrigued by the title of this, because I LIVE in Devon, and having read it, I'd like to point out that you are entirely 'on the ball' with this one! *grin* We actually live in the City, which is obviously completely different, but we do our fair share out 'out and about' - If you're the kind of person who sticks two fingers up to scare-stories like the one above - Ahem - may I recommend the journey from Plymouth to Bere Alston....?
Eccentrica.

A240184 Driving In devon

Post 6

Sue

I find myself in complete agreement with all those who are in complete agreement (??)

The only thing left out is the sense of complete helplessness and panic when you realise there's a convoy of coaches coming in the other direction......

A240184 Driving In devon

Post 7

C Hawke

Just to point out I just found the article, the actual writer seems long lost to the site, we shall see if it gets edited. Watch this space.

C hawke

A240184 Driving In devon

Post 8

Beeblefish

I'm on it team .. I know the writer, and will tell her her article is up for review. I fully agree that it is an excellent article, and should be part of the Edited Guide. I would also add as a footnote that doing all this in the dark becomes twice as harrowing, but three times as fun -- especially fast.

~Beeblefish >smiley - hsif><

A240184 Driving In devon

Post 9

C Hawke

Most of you know the score, we think the article is great etc, reconmneded etc thread will be moved out of peer review etc,

Beeblefish, if you can get the researcher cool, let her know the hidden gem (the entry not the researcher (well maybe researcher as well)) is great and will be edited and included.

One additional paragarph from me;

"If you come from a flat area, such as the Fens, you cannot get away with gstaying in 4th or 5th gear, as there is never more than a couple of hundred metres without a bend or a hill. Saying in these gears, will slow you down, and may even be dangerous, sorry but you just have to burn that extra bit of petrol"

C Hawke

A240184 Driving In devon

Post 10

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review forum because this entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

If they haven't been along already, the Scout who recommended your entry will post here soon, to let you know what happens next. Meanwhile you can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.h2g2.com/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!

A240184 Driving In devon

Post 11

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review forum because this entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

If they haven't been along already, the Scout who recommended your entry will post here soon, to let you know what happens next. Meanwhile you can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.h2g2.com/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!

A240184 Driving In devon

Post 12

Gemma

Hello Everyone!

Just in case anyone comes by here, I would like to thank CH very much for the recommendation, and everyone else who was agreeably in agreement. I have officially come back from my lunch break (I was just gone for 10 minutes! Honest Guv!) My dad lives in a little village called Kingston in Devon (no shops, just a pub, but what more do you need?), so I've had much experience both driving in Devon and backing up against nettle growing at the roadside trying to avoid having my feet run over by an overly enthusiastic driver. Thanks again,

Gemma

A240184 Driving In devon

Post 13

C Hawke

Welcome back, I hope you had a good lunch?

I remember reading the article soon after you wrote it when we were in the same forum (another about Devon) so when I became a Scout and made a decision to find "lost" entries (Just call me Inianna Hawke) and I saw yours again it just had to be put foward, supput from various Gurus and big names made it a cert.

Hope you are going to stay around this time.

C "Indianna" Hawke

A240184 Driving In devon

Post 14

C Hawke

....and lo it is an edited entry here-

http://www.h2g2.com/A500473

it's a shame these threads don't get moved to the finished entry.

Well done Gemma

CH

Me too

Post 15

Researcher 166714

I love Devon

Key: Complain about this post