A Conversation for The Don't Panic Help Centre

Any Gurus nearby?

Post 1

Linus...42, i guess that makes me the answer...

A slight problem i'm sure one of you can help me with...

I can get to the front page okay, but if i try to get to my page i get the following error:

Proxy Error

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
The proxy server could not handle the request GET /h2g2/guide/U106090.

Reason: Could not connect to remote machine: Connection refused

The only other pages i seem to be able to access are the orange buttons, although i wouldn't bank on it for the whos online one (i just tried it and the list appeared but then i got the message similar to above.

Obviously this makes it rather difficult for me to go about my Aceing and Scouting duties, so any help would be appreciated...

P.S i don't seem to have trouble accessing other web sites.
PPS As i can't access my home page and we can't enter email addresses in the postings you will need to get my address from either Anna, Abi or Peta from the towers...or it might still be on my page near the bottom somewhere

Any Gurus nearby?

Post 2

Good grief smiley - sadface ...it seems to have posted even when it showed as a time out at my end. My apologies for that.

The problem still remains, only once rather than 3 times though...

Any Gurus nearby?

Post 3

h2g2Support

Sorry Linus, this is a result of the huge traffic generated by the link on the BBC home page to h2g2. All I can advise is that you keep trying, but I'm afraid we can't do anything specific about it, except fo help the servers survive. Jim's at the controls as we speak...

It'll all calm down in about a day or so.

Mark

Any Gurus nearby?

Post 4

Thanks Mark,

My access problems stem back further than the current influx. I have no problem getting in from work (as i am at the moment) but from home it has almost been impossible for over a month...It could be the time differential i suppose ie: busier late sydney pm rather than am.

I will keep trying...if i don't put a hole in my monitor first !!!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more