This is the Message Centre for Santragenius V

And then on a Monday...

Post 1

Santragenius V

I was given my notice today.

First time that ever happened to me - in something like fifteen years of working.

I came to work a little - the exact descriptive word eludes me just now - weary, not really down, maybe a little blue. A little of me still resided with the group of the summer camp I came home from on Saturday, so good had that trip been. It only took about a few seconds to realise that things were going from weary to worse - my boss looked at me with a very sombre look in his face and said "we must talk" and pointed towards a room where we could be on our own. As he picked up a few sheets of paper on the way, there wasn't too much doubt. Even though this is a first, I knew just then what it was.

So how did it feel? At first, a sting. A rather bad one, too. Rather quickly, a calm rationality settled - allowing me to discuss things. Not like I wasn't there or that it wasn't about me - I've heard that as not uncommon - but strangely aloof. I guess that's just me - always resorting to words... smiley - winkeye

Before signing on the notice, I checked with the engineer's association that there was nothing extra I should know, do or make certain - and then I called it a day and drove home. Called my wife on the way home to break the news. More calm talk - quick mutual assurance that our finances are solid, that we'll get through this like so much else. smiley - love

I had figured out that the first thing I'd do was to start writing the list of people I need to get in touch with - then head for the forest with my dog. My forest smiley - smiley Always the place to get my head screwed back on properly.

But on returning home, the needs turned out to be different. Music first! I arranged myself comfortably and listened to half the Eurythmics Peace Tour DVD. Loud smiley - biggrin.

Then words. After calming myself by being lost in Eurythmics for full blast, I felt them knocking to get out and just had to come here to pour them out. For what it's worth ... at the least it helps my brain sorting things out. Emotions over here, to dos there, the need to kick something dropped squarely into the bin... smiley - winkeye

In the meantime, the clouds have blown away outside and the sun's shining. Time to play one more song - this time from my PC -

Hello it's me, I'm not at home
If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone
A change would do you good
A change would do you good

- and then get into the hiking boots, get the lead for the dog and go for a long walk.

Time to move on!

And then on a Monday...

Post 2

Titania (gone for lunch)

*hands Santra a smiley - musicalnote and a smiley - musicalnote*smiley - winkeye

If someone were to give me my notice I'd be absolutely baffled - it has never happened to me!

Would it be too nosy/impolite asking what the reason was?

And what do you mean by 'fifteen years of working'? I thought you were older than I (smiley - nahnah) and I've been working for... for... almost 20 years, yeah!

And then on a Monday...

Post 3

Santragenius V

smiley - musicalnotesmiley - musicalnote Thanks.... smiley - winkeye

Not at all - company's economy apparently was a lot worse than what I'd gathered it's in red numbers and not getting any better at the moment. From what he said, my boss had tried to argue that getting rid of a third of the sales and marketing isn't going to help anything as it must slow down the activities needed to get more sales in - but apparently to no avail... smiley - sigh

As to the 15 years, I just calculated from graduating from University in '88... Haven't I picked up somewhere that you're also one of the "phenomenal vintage '63"...?

And then on a Monday...

Post 4

Titania (gone for lunch)

Ah - but I've never studied at a university!smiley - smiley Right after the 'gymnasium' I spent one year studying to become an executive secretary in hotel and tourism business, and then I got my first 'real' job in the autumn 1983...

So... are you going to enjoy some time off, or are you going to start looking for a new job right away?

And then on a Monday...

Post 5

Santragenius V

So far I'll stay working - I have some projects that I'd actually like to finish. Silly, maybe - but some professional pride (or whatever) wants to be met...

And I'll start invoking my network to shake the tree a bit and see what may fall down...

And then on a Monday...

Post 6

Titania (gone for lunch)

Are you getting paid for finishing the projects?

And then on a Monday...

Post 7

Santragenius V

I'm paid until the end of October... In case you're worried about my sanity (Nooo - you wouldn't be smiley - winkeye), I'm not sure at all that I'd be proud enough to do these things unpaid...

And then on a Monday...

Post 8

Titania (gone for lunch)

smiley - laugh

Who? Me?

smiley - whistle

smiley - angel

And then on a Monday...

Post 9

Santragenius V

Yeah, you smiley - laugh. Don't think for a minute that I believe those wings make you especially saintly in conversation smiley - winkeye

And then on a Monday...

Post 10

Santragenius V

Just reread the thing - after having time put some perspective on yesterday. I don't know if I'm ever very good at putting in 8 hours of concentrated, dedicated work on some one thing - but it does seem to me that today I have been a little easier to distract...

Probably I'm just predictable and rather normal after all... smiley - winkeye

And then on a Monday...

Post 11

Titania (gone for lunch)

Rather normal? NORMAL?!?!?!

*don't panic, don't panic*

OK, define 'normal' *shudder*

And then on a Monday...

Post 12

Ottox

smiley - erm

And then on a Monday...

Post 13

Santragenius V

Well - do you sense anything un-normal by me, may I ask? smiley - whistle

In this case I was merely referring to 'normal' as in 'OK, it did matter to me and made some reaction appear after all'. I think I was way too calm yesterday.

But having an outlet for the pent up words helped, too smiley - smiley

And then on a Monday...

Post 14

Titania (gone for lunch)

I think the words you're looking for are 'usual' and 'unusual'...smiley - winkeye

And then on a Monday...

Post 15

Santragenius V

Oh, sometimes I like to think I'm normal....

Don't smiley - yikes - the urge never lasts long smiley - winkeye

And then on a Monday...

Post 16

Titania (gone for lunch)

I'm sure your daughter soon manages to get you to snap out of that disillusion...smiley - winkeye

And then on a Monday...

Post 17

Santragenius V

smiley - laugh Yeah, I'll have to teach her to say "Dad, you're quite normal..."

And then on a Monday...

Post 18

sunny

smiley - towelsmiley - space * fingers crossed for you to find a splendid new job *

And then on a Monday...

Post 19

Santragenius V

With a towel, it can't go all that bad, methinks... smiley - tasmiley - smiley

And then on a Monday...

Post 20

sunny

smiley - spacesmiley - magicsmiley - spacesmiley - towelsmiley - spacesmiley - wizard

smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post