A Conversation for Quorthon's Mosh Pit

Attempt to get your secrets here

Post 1

Buff

How do you do the nifty thing with the changey colorey links on your page? I really want to know. Tell me how, Pretty pretty please with little crunchy fluffy thingies on top. (insert puppydog eyes here)
smiley - smiley

Post 2

Mike A (snowblind)

Only if you Mosh smiley - winkeye

Nah, it's ok, just put this HTML in your page:

<!--
function initArray() {
for (var i = 0; i < initArray.arguments.length; i++) {
this[i] = initArray.arguments[i];
}
this.length = initArray.arguments.length;
}

// you may fill this colors array with your colors.
// the script will rotate the links through these colors
var colors = new initArray(
"#ffffff",
"#ffffef",
"#ffffdf",
"#ffffcf",
"#ffffbf",
"#ffffaf",
"#ffff9f",
"#ffff8f",
"#ffff7f",
"#ffef7f",
"#ffdf7f",
"#ffcf7f",
"#ffbf7f",
"#ffaf7f",
"#ff9f7f",
"#ff8f7f",
"#ff7f7f",
"#ff7f8f",
"#ff7f9f",
"#ff7faf",
"#ff7fbf",
"#ff7fcf",
"#ff7fdf",
"#ff7fef",
"#ff7fff",
"#ff8fff",
"#ff9fff",
"#ffafff",
"#ffbfff",
"#ffcfff",
"#ffdfff",
"#ffefff");

pause_time = .3; // in seconds

link = 0; // starting color index (in colors array) for unvisited links
vlink = 4; // starting color index (in colors array) for visited links

function linkDance() {
link = (link+1)%colors.length;
vlink = (vlink+1)%colors.length;
//alert("link "+link+"\r\nvlink "+vlink+"\r\nvlinkColor "+document.vlinkColor);
document.linkColor = colors[link];
document.vlinkColor = colors[vlink];
setTimeout("linkDance();",pause_time*1000);
}
linkDance();
// -->

Seeing as it's HTML, if you've got GuideML on your homepage then you'll have to change the type to HTML, then change it back. Now, I think I'll just go and add it to my own homepage smiley - bigeyes

Post 3

Penguin Girl - returned at last

That's so cool...I wonder if it's worth actually learning java, or if I should just keep stealing other peoples'?

Post 4

Mike A (snowblind)

Learn Java? Can you do that?

Does anyone know how to get little scrolling messages in the bar at the bottom of your browser? I asked the guy at a Slayer website who's got it, but his help wasn't very helpful smiley - sadface

Post 5

Buff

Thanks anyway, but it took you so long to get back to me that I found it elsewhere. Actually, I got a version that works in Guide ML from BigC, the man with a space station. (at least I think he's a man. could be something else) Anyhoo... If you want to look at his version of it, the forum subject is How do you..., and I think it's still on the active list on my page.
Bye nowsmiley - smiley

Post 6

Mike-
If I'm really curious, I look at the source and try to figure it out. That's what I did for that other java, before I found this page. I haven't used it yet though.

Post 7

Mike A (snowblind)

Hey Buff, is it just me or do your colours change quicker than mine? Maybe it's the amount of stuff I've got on my page...I really should give it a trim.

What's this source stuff, PG?

Post 8

Buff

Not a clue. I'm just barely beginning to learn about this kind of thing. There is a line in the script that seems to specify the pause between color changes on mine though. I've been meaning to change it and see if I'm right.

Post 9

coelacanth

On your toolbar you have VIEW, so click on this and then on SOURCE. Just nick anything by highlighting, then EDIT - COPY. PASTE it into your own page.
smiley - fish

Post 10

To give you a more technical explanation, source is the raw HTML(including java) of a page. It's just another way of asaying it. My only inspiration so far is to write some anti-popup add java for my old page, but I've killed it since then.

Post 11

Mike A (snowblind)

Hey, that's cool. Thanks you three smiley - smiley

How is everyone finding this thread so suddenly?

So, I'm going to grab some Java, if I can find the site now!
I noticed on a Slipknot website, I tried to steal a picture. I right-clicked on it and a window popped up saying "So...what you trying to take?" Clever devils smiley - winkeye

Post 12

Oh cool...I see a future. It'd probably be easy to hack though. Not that I CAN hack, but it's an idea.
As for how I found the forum, I finally became the official Slushee person of the Rambling Misfits and was poking around the page(s).

Post 13

Mike A (snowblind)

I haven't done that in ages. Congrats on joining the team smiley - smiley

I really need to poke around more. I poke around a fair deal, but I reckon I could well do it more often. You find some well groovy things...

Post 14

Thanks. What flavour slushies do you like?

There is a LOT of h2g2 out there. Poking around is good. That's why I actually use the search function, which is pretty damned random. But reguardless, I always run into the same people, mostly from the ML. We seem to be into everything. I was poking through my old forum entries and it struck me that there are an awful lot of them. And I've only been on H2G2 regualrly for a couple of months.

Post 15

Buff

Hey! I tried changing the thingie that I thought might control amount of time the links stay one color, and it worked. Now to find out what colors = what color codes, and where I can learn the codes.
smiley - smiley

Post 16

Mike A (snowblind)

The strange thing is that the people I'm talking to in many different forums now, they're very different to the people I was talking to in many different forums a few months back. It seems strange.
And I seem to go through 'generations' of forums. There's a batch of 30 that I post in, and in a month or so's time the 30 forums will be totally different.
It seems that if I post in a new forum, an older one has to die smiley - sadface

Hey, Buff, you worked out how to speed up the colour changes? How do?

Post 17

Buff-
The codes are called hex codes. I have a really good site of them, but since I'm not at home I don't have it here. Just search for hex codes, you'll find a LOT.

Mike-
I don't really find that they ahve to die...usually they do that on their own for me. I rarely abandon forums unless they're really boring or the kind that are more of a list than a discussion.
One way to speed up color changes would also be to just have less colors. There's a lot of them in that little bit of java, many of which could in theory be taken out.

Post 18

Mike A (snowblind)

Guess it's the way I perceive the life and times of a forum. A lot of mine seem to die for no reason whatsoever. I'm sure there's one person who's deliberatly left some of my forums dangling.

That java thing, I dare not fiddle with it, I ain't knowledgable with these things! *^_^*

Post 19

Buff

To speed up (or slow down) the color changes, just find this line

pause_time = .3; // in seconds

in the javascrpt, and change the number. Mine is at .5 instead of .3. I just copied n' pasted the line above from your post earlier in this forum.
Yes, I definitly have experianced forum drift. I don't think that it's that they die, just that people wander away. Someday they will get ressurected. I responded to a forum that was something like 47 weeks old, and it revived breifly.

Post 20

Buff

You don't by any chance know where I could start looking just off the top of your head? Don't go to any trouble. I'm pretty good at finding info, but I always try the easy way first. (which in this case would to be ask you)
Bye now smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post