A Conversation for Handy Latin Phrases

I can help with Latin if you need it!

Post 1

toowoohoovoo

I'm currently taking Latin so if you need any help, just ask!smiley - bubbly

Post 2

toowoohoovoo

Oh yes, and I'm not quite sure where to add something to the entry, but I've got another two little latin phrases

1. Facta non verba - Deeds not words
2. Ad astra per aspera - To the stars across aspiration

And I'm not sure if when you say them in english you pronounce the v like normal, but just to add v's in latins are pronounced like a w.smiley - bubbly

Post 3

notkristine

I am trying to think of a Latin phrase that has something to do with "I scratch your back and you scratch mine" type of thing and I'm stumped. Please help.

Post 4

AYEBEE PW - RIP TERRI

hello..i'm looking for a translation for the word loyalty into latin.. can you help?
many thanks

Post 5

Cals_Incitatus (the boorish American)

Loyalty...
Some people name their dogs "loyalty"... FIDO.

Post 6

Cals_Incitatus (the boorish American)

correction: FIDO = I am faithful (I think)
Perhaps "legalis" is loyalty...

Post 7

King Cthulhu of Balwyniti

Fido (as a verb) means more "I trust (in/to)"... as a noun fides or fidelitas is what you would be after - whence English 'fidelity'. The form would vary in context, and there are other words which could be used depending on context (just like English) but that would be the most usual... smiley - ok

Post 8

AYEBEE PW - RIP TERRI

thank you so much... that is just what i was looking for.... smiley - biggrin

Post 9

Not at all smiley - smiley

Post 10

AYEBEE PW - RIP TERRI

no .....really... good of you to help.. here... have this smiley - chocand thissmiley - cake and this smiley - tea ...oh hell. have these too smiley - alesmiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - alesmiley - bubblysmiley - hug

Post 11

TheBellmanofAnkh

I have tried without success to find a Latin translation for the wonderfully descriptive phrase "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough"

I think the words I want to use are something like:

aventaras et temptras si accredereris tu crudescere adfatim est

which is something like

Come near and test by attacking (or assail) if you believe you are sufficiently hard or violent

I don't have a clue about verbs declension so some help would be greatly appreciated

Post 12

AYEBEE PW - RIP TERRI

ha ha ha ha.... i have no clue, but i am very tickled by your desire to translate that into latin.... can picture very angry person in toga....hahaha...thanks...made my day smiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrinsmiley - ok

Post 13

toowoohoovoo

Verb declension eh?

Well. The first conjugation of a verb is (the verb im using is to conquer)
verb->superare (to conquer)
supero (I conquer)
superas (You conquer)
superat (he/she/it conquers)
superamus (we conquer)
superatis (you pl. conquer)
superant (they conquer)

The second conjugation is>
verb->videre (to see)
video (I see)
vides (you see)
videt (he/she/it sees)
videmus (we see)
videtis (you pl. see)
vident (they see)

There are more conjugations of verbs, but those are the only two you used, or so I believe since I'm too lazy to see what verb you actually had. But meh.smiley - bubbly

Post 14

...and then there are the perfect tenses... and the imperfect... and the future... and the future perfect... and the subjunctives... and the passives... and the participles... and the... and the... smiley - winkeye

Post 15

inkmuser

Very cool...

I'm needing a few Latin translations for another personal blog I'm creating. So far, wrestling with online Latin translators hasn't helped! Phrases considering:

"I went, I saw, I wrote"
or "Veni Vedi xxxx" might work

"I go, I see, I write"

"Have words will travel"

Thanks a zillion.

Gary
http://www.inkmusings.com

Post 16

Banjo Golly

"I went, I saw, I wrote" ="ivi, vidi, scripsi"

But perhaps you mean

"I came, I saw, I wrote"="veni, vidi, scripsi"

"I go, I see, I write"="eo, video, scribo."

I've never really understood what is meant by expressions like "Have gun/girl/words etc., will travel". If I knew what it meant I'm sure I could translate it easily. But since I don't, I can't. So there!

Post 17

inkmuser

Thanks, Banjo, LOL. The "Have gun...will travel" is a trademarked phrase from an old American TV western by that name, and means essentially "hired gun will travel [to do your dirty work]." Here'e more info than you probably want to know:

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/have-gun.htm

But the other phrases are great, especially "veni vidi scripsi" which is probably what I'll use (unless the HGWT translates to something that rolls nicely...).

Thanks again.
Gary

Post 18

Banjo Golly

If the meaning is then: "I have words, I am willing to travel" it translates as:

"Verba habeo, iter facere volo."

The Latin is actually quite like the original phrase, since Latin usually omits pronouns like "I".

Post 19

Banjo Golly

I was just thinking. If we invent a new regular Latin verb "blogare" (to blog), you could have "veni, vidi, blogavi" (I came, I saw, I blogged).

Post 20

toowoohoovoo

The verb could be stilusare. a stilus is basically like a pencil (well acutally it is a small wooden stick that they would use to engrave what they were writing on wax tablets, but...).smiley - bubbly

Key: Complain about this post